Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Electrical Outlet Usage Alert
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hdoornbosch
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  09:07:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for a device to monitor/alert when my sump pump activates.

The sump pump is plugged into a stand 120v electrical outlet.

We require SMS or iPhone application notification. Our home does have wifi coverage.

The 1/2 HP sump pump normally uses about 8-10 amps AC and during start-up can surge up to 40 amps.

HELP ...

BLH
Advanced Member

5764 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  09:51:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any Insteon Controllers. Like a HUB or ISY994i?
One way could be making an adapter to trigger a 2450 I/O Linc. To use a HUB or ISY994i to send a message when turning On or Off.
Here is a how to post on monitoring a dryer but also near the bottom is a adapter for a 120 Volt monitored plug.
http://cocoontech.com/forums/page/articles/_/tutorials/home-automation-tutorials/how-to-monitor-the-status-of-your-appliances-using-current-sensors-r58

The CT800 is a nice sensor but others have used different sensors with an I/O Linc. As it has a dry contact output. It could actually trigger many devices that may fit your requirements.

I believe there are some Z-Wave modules that can sense current flow. If you have a Z-Wave setup.

Edited by - BLH on 03/21/2018 09:53:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10614 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  09:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does your sump pump plug into a water level float switch, which then plugs into the wall outlet? If so, you could wire a Micro On/Off Module to two line cords, one plugged into the wall outlet (to provide the Micro Module operating power) and the second connecting the Sense terminal to a splitter plugged into the float switch.

Use the INSTEON model 2245 Hub and INSTEON for Hub iPhone app to receive the signal and send iPhone notifications.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

hdoornbosch
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  07:45:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback.

I was looking for something more "plug and play" and independent WIFI connections. Something like Wemo Insight Plug but not sure it can handle the amps.

I may still need to use your suggestions if I can't find something easy.
Go to Top of Page

sutphinwb

28 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2018 :  12:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any update on this? I'd like to do the same thing. perhaps using the sense line on a module? Be nice if something like that was built into one of the existing plug modules.

Thanks

Edited by - sutphinwb on 05/27/2018 1:01:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

smokegrub
Average Member

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2018 :  6:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a similar situation where I want to know when a well pump (110v) is on or off. This information lets me know of a leak or if a hose bibb or other faucet has been turned on long enough for the pump to run and pressurize the pressure tank. Each time the pump runs or cuts off I am sent am sent an email. The device that provides this information is an Insteon Synchronic (2423AS). I have an Insteon On/Off Outdoor Module (2423AS) that powers the SynchroLinc. This arrangement allows me to turn the pump off if I get messages that it is running when it shouldn't be. The program is activated as a part of my security settings using a KPL. This has been a dependable solution that lets me manage the pump from a distance of 325 miles.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5764 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  3:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately right now. The 2423A5 Synchrolinc. Is not on stock. Page indicates Get notified when back in stock.
Go to Top of Page

smokegrub
Average Member

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  5:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Googled the device thinking one was surely available somewhere. No soap.
Go to Top of Page

sutphinwb

28 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2018 :  07:26:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yah me too. called smarthome and asked for one anyway. maybe squeaky wheel? Maybe they have an alternate config. I can do minor wiring.

There sending some instructions. we'll see....
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5764 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2018 :  08:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep us informed.
Though I suspect it and a few other modules are gone for ever. Like the IMeter Solo, both Insteon IR modules.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page