Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Insteon Software?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

randage
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  08:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been using insteon for about 2 years now, and most of my house is 80% insteon. I was wondering what the next steps were or how can I manage my house better. I have seen a couple 3rd party software applications, but which one is the best to get or are there others that maybe of interested.

jackman
Average Member

178 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  09:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What controller are you using, HUB, ISY, PLM? Or are you without a controller and using your Insteon devices standalone and need to start with a controller?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10614 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  09:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stringify is a phone app and cloud service that allows you to create ‘flows’, conditional logic events that can be much more sophisticated than the simple Hub schedules. You can use it to set up duration timers (when a closet light turns on, turn off after 4 minutes), conditional notifications (if a sensor triggers, but only when I’m not home, then notify me...), events that trigger based on your calendar, etc.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

randage
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  09:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using the insteon hub.

quote:
Originally posted by jackman

What controller are you using, HUB, ISY, PLM? Or are you without a controller and using your Insteon devices standalone and need to start with a controller?

Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3705 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  3:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you have to answer for yourself a couple of key questions:

- are you willing to run a computer (24/7) to host software?
- do you want an independent system or are you willing to rely on the cloud and other similar services?
- besides insteon, are there other protocols or systems with which you desire to interface?

Answers to these questions can point one in a particular direction.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

239 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  9:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would use the ISY994 or Homeseer. My preference would be the ISY since they offer native support for Insteon.

With the ISY and Homeseer, you have local control over your system. This means cloud or server connections are not a risk like it is with stringify.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 03/26/2018 9:12:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1174 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  1:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are a coder, and want fine-grained control, with the ability to export web pages for control, integrate PC scripts, etc., (and can use a PC to run your code). Powerhome is still the best thing out there. Very reliable and well-supported.

Things only Powerhome can do (I believe)
1) independently control the lights on the KeypadLinc
2) Check an external website for the weather and adjust ceiling fans, sprinklers, etc., accordingly. (my ceiling fans go on/off depending on temperature, my sprinklers run every other day, with a reset when it rains)
3) Create an external web page that you can then bring up on any browser or phone, or...a Kindle Fire and have a $40 wall-mount touch-screen control for your system.
4) Send Text messages or Emails based on system events or status
5) Make sure -every- timed or triggered event either occurs properly, or you get an Email telling you about a system failure. So you never have to worry about "was that module triggered?" again...
I could go on - but basically if you can think of it, there's a way in PH to do it.

Just my $.02
/j

I believe people also have it working with Alexa - check here...
http://www.myx10.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=1

Edited by - jeffw_00 on 03/29/2018 1:29:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3705 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  6:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the ISY-994. It can do many of those things, as well. This is not to say, however, that powerhome is not a great option.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

239 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  3:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Oberkc. The ISY is able to do those things as well. Homeseer does too.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1174 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  4:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With Powerhome - I can have pH start the execution of a perl script that runs on my PC and wait - the Perl script can do anything (like check the weather from a website), and write the results to a file. Powerhome can then -read- the file, and take action based on File contents - If ISY-994 can do that I might buy one, but can it?

also - 6)I can put shortcut icons on the Desktop of my PC that trigger Powerhome events.

/j
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3705 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  5:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about #6. I suspect so, but never thought much about it or considered how to make that happen. I am pretty confident the uber-nerds around here could do that with the ISY. I do have one-touch widgets on my android tablet that can initiate ISY events. Does that count?
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1174 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  5:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sure - I guess the difference is that I've always thought about the ISYs as closed systems - someone writing the system SW defined the universe of things you could do, and you have to work within that. Powerhome being code-based on a foundation of fairly low level system calls, allows you to do pretty much -anything- with the same level of complexity. The base level of skill needed to use the tool is a little higher than with other programs, but you can pretty much do anything without going further than that level. Uber-PH users do things like make it interface with Alexa and Google home.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2354 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  11:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw_00

If you are a coder, and want fine-grained control, with the ability to export web pages for control, integrate PC scripts, etc., (and can use a PC to run your code). Powerhome is still the best thing out there. Very reliable and well-supported.

Things only Powerhome can do (I believe)
1) independently control the lights on the KeypadLinc
2) Check an external website for the weather and adjust ceiling fans, sprinklers, etc., accordingly. (my ceiling fans go on/off depending on temperature, my sprinklers run every other day, with a reset when it rains)
3) Create an external web page that you can then bring up on any browser or phone, or...a Kindle Fire and have a $40 wall-mount touch-screen control for your system.
4) Send Text messages or Emails based on system events or status
5) Make sure -every- timed or triggered event either occurs properly, or you get an Email telling you about a system failure. So you never have to worry about "was that module triggered?" again...
I could go on - but basically if you can think of it, there's a way in PH to do it.

Just my $.02
/j

I believe people also have it working with Alexa - check here...
http://www.myx10.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=1

Can you offer a little more insight and clarification on example 1??

It can do what to the KPL lights??

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1174 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  11:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Each KPL button has a light behind it. PH let's me turn those lights on/off independently w.r.t events. For example, I have a KPL in my front hall. There's a button to clear a period audible alert (generated elsewhere) that there's mail in my mailbox. I also light the button when there's mail in my mailbox, and clear the light when the button is pressed.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3705 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  4:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the hub can do that. I dont think that is anything special.

The ISY has available a network module that seems able to communicate with darn near anything on your network. I dont know all available protocols, but I believe it includes rest and HTTP, among others. Once those network resources are established, they can the be used as part of a program to initiate or trigger events.

I claim no particular skills in this area, but can post the following:

Network Resources allows the ISY to call other systems using HTTP/HTTPS/TCP/UDP/Multicast. Please note that you need PRO features for Advanced HTTPS/Cipher suites functionality

Available HTTP/HTTPS commands include GET/POST/CONNECT/DELETE/HEAD/PUT/TRACE.

POST and PUT allow the use of URL-ENCODED, RAW TEXT, and BINARY modes.

Please see this page for some examples of devices you can control using this module:

Edited by - oberkc on 03/31/2018 4:34:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page