Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Controling a Mystic Gas Fireplace Insert
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Got2Have
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  11:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 10 yo Mystic fireplace with remote control. Well, the remote only turns on/off the gas flame. Still needed to crawl on belly to control the fan and speed by opening the bottom panel. I asked the installer to add a rotary dimmer switch on the wall to control the fan. This only damaged the remote control unit and I have had to do the belly crawl ever since.

Recently I discovered the Insteon line which gave me an idea as to how to control both the flame and fan via remote control. I called a repairman for advice. He could replace the remote control switch for $300 US but the fan would still need to be manually operated.

I showed him pictures of the low voltage controller (2450), dimmer module (2457D2), and 8 scene mini keypad (2342-222). He claimed the devices should work and if I got it working to call hem back because he had a bunch of customers wanting a similar solution.

Within an hour of receiving my order I had it working, some what. I am able to use the mini remote to control the flame and fan. No problem with the flame, but had issues with the dimmer module controlling the fan (as I suspected). The fan would turn on and off, but the fan speed would pulsate fast and slow with the sensor light blinking red.

I'm going to see if replacing the dimmer module with a dimmer switch (2477D) will work.

I'm already thinking of the next step to add a thermostat (2441THR) to turn on/off the flame and fan, and to control the temperature. I plan to use my ISY to keep the fan on until the fireplace has cooled down.

This configuration means there is no 24V wiring to the thermostat for power or communication. The thermostat will communicate with the switches in the fireplace similar to that of the mini remote.

I am asking for comments and feedback from anyone with similar experiences. In the meantime, I might buy a used thermostat to experiment.

stusviews
Advanced Member

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  2:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A dimmer is not the correct device to control a fan, any fan. Use an On/Off device (one speed) or a FanLinc (three speeds). The FanLinc is big and may not fit, but you don't need an enclosure.

I use a battery powered programmable thermostat.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

Got2Have
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  10:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply.

I have an extra 2477S switch and will add male and female plugs to control the fan on/off.

I ordered a reconditioned Insteon thermostat and will use the battery as you have.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page