Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Improving communications
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jtgreg

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  09:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several insteon outlets in my garage area and a switchlinc on/off switch. Everything worked well. Recently, I have noticed a few failures of lights or the outlet with a hot water recirc pump to turn on or off.

I upgraded the switchlinc to a dual band. When I run the phase test from the PLM, the new switch in the garage does not flash. I believe this means the RF signal from the test is not making it to the garage.

My question, did adding the dual band improve anything? Do I need to move a repeater to an outlet where the repeater phase test will work with the PLM and the new switch?

Thank you.

Bonus question. My laptops are Macs. Is there any diagnostic software that I can use to measure success rate? Anyone have an ISY program to do this?

BLH
Advanced Member

5765 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  11:20:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The communications test does not have to reach from the PLM to the garage.
What is important is the PLM can pass the test with a module, that can then pass the signal to the garage.
So you maybe able to find a module between the PLM and the garage to pass the signal between them.

Has anything changed in the home. That maybe making power line noise or absorbing signals?

The ISY994i Scene Test may give you some clues. Using the Administrative Console Event Viewer in level 3 and seeing the communications while turning modules on and off may also give a clue.
Go to Top of Page

jtgreg

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  12:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After some experiments, placing a filter linc on the hot water recirc pump seems to solve all the problems. Weird, it used to be fine. The only change was I did replace the impeller on the pump awhile back.

After you have your phases bridged, is there a benefit to having dual band switches vs the older switches?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5765 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  4:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better communications in some setups.
Dual Band modules probably have added features the older power line only ones have.
Down side for a very few of us. Most dropped X10 support.
Most of my stuff is still old 2456S3 ApplianceLincs, a few of the newer Dual Band On/Off modules old 2476S Switchlincs nd ISSY994i with 2413S PLM.

Glad you found the problem. It is possible as it aged. More noise or signal absorption started to creep in.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2354 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2018 :  1:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jtgreg

After some experiments, placing a filter linc on the hot water recirc pump seems to solve all the problems. Weird, it used to be fine. The only change was I did replace the impeller on the pump awhile back.

After you have your phases bridged, is there a benefit to having dual band switches vs the older switches?

Some of the benefits that come to mind for me is the following:

- Lower standby power consumption
- Wider voltage (100- 277 VAC) range to ensure surge / sags are handled well
- Better surge protection which I believe is 500 VAC
- Dual color diagnostic LED's for COMM validation
- Dual Band: Ensures bridging and RF reach
- One would assume after 7 hardware revisions the components are better inside for longer service life??

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro

Stusviews: This world is made less with out your presence. Your contributions in all things has helped inspire millions to succeed. You were a husband, teacher, mentor, a friend to all.

I will forever miss our chats, debates, and collaboration. I will not remember how you died but remember how you lived and what you left behind. The sky has another star in the Heavens where you reside but the Earth is much darker with out your light to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page