Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Best Programming Method to Control 2+ Devices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Got2Have
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  5:41:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 x 2477D switches that I want the ISY to turn them both on at the same time, Sunset 10 minutes. What is the best way to program? a). Create a Scene for the two switches and run a program to turn on the Scene? Or b). run a program to turn on switch1 AND switch2?

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  6:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scene. That way the lights turn on simultaneously, with less traffic, instead of sequentially.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3692 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  6:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All other things being equal, I would choose option b (more reliable response). Unfortunately, things are rarely equal. Because most people with an ISY have more than two switches, and generally more than one program, I find that maintaining and updating one's system as new devices are introduced or as needs change is easier using scenes (option b). Furthermore, if your communications between devices is strong and the scene responds reliably, then the benefit of option a) is negated.

Edited by - oberkc on 04/19/2018 6:07:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Got2Have
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  7:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have mentioned that each switch controls their own light and the light is dimmed at different times (not covered in initial post).

Either way can be justified but I tend to favor option b.

I'm just getting started with my ISY and I'm trying to apply a consistent method to coordinate devices, scenes, and programs in a way that doesn't end up with a confusing maintenance nightmare. In reality, if an ISY is used to turn on a device than you'll want the ISY to turn it off or dim it. Using a program for each device could be easier to maintain especially if conditions change for the device.

My next question is how to control a device based on several time periods during the day and on/off/dim states? For example:
I want the ISY to turn on switch1 at Sunset - 15 minutes, then dim switch1 to 50% at 10:00PM, then dim switch1 to 35% at 12:00AM, and then turn off switch1 at Sunrise + 15 minutes. Would this require 3 programs or is there a way to perform a simulated Else If?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  7:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use 1 program for each unique time of day.

Go to Top of Page

Got2Have
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  7:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So SinkLigntSwOn - Turn on at Sunset -15.
SinkLightSwNite1 - Dim to 50% at 10:00PM.
SinkLightSwNite2 - Dim to 33% from 12:00AM to Sunrise + 15, Else Turn off.

would work?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3692 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  03:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could also depend on the likelihood that these levels would be manually adjusted during the day and whether you want to bring them back to a nominal level at certain key times.

There is a way to combine programs if you with. There is also a way to simulate "else if". A couple of examples that may help with your decision:

Combining programs:

if
time is from sunset - 15 minutes
to 10pm (same day)
then
turn on switch1
else
dim switch1 to 50%

simulate "else if"

if
condition is whatever
then
do something
else
run "another program" (if path)

Having said all this, I am like Tfitzpatri8: I would probably have separate programs for each time. Still, I don't know that there is a wrong way here.

Best place for all things ISY:

https://forum.universal-devices.com/

Go to Top of Page

Got2Have
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  06:43:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I get it. There would be 4 programs and be grouped in a folder.

Folder: SinkLightSwNitePgmGrp

Program 1: SinkLightSwNiteOn
If
Time is Sunset - 15 minutes
Then
Set SinkLightSw On
Else

Program 2: SinkLightSwNiteDim
If
From 10:00PM
For 2 Hours
Then
Set SinkLightSw 50%
Else

Program 3: SinkLightSwNiteLite
If
From 12:00AM
To Sunrise + 10 minutes (same day)
Then
Set SinkLightSw 37%
Else

Program 4: SinkLightSwNiteOff
If
Time is Sunrise + 10 minutes
Then
Set SinkLightSw Off
Else

Is it possible to combine programs 1 and 4?

During a From To period, when or how often does the ISY send commands to the device?

If the state of the switch is manually altered during the time period of a program, does that mean the state manually set overrides the programmed state until the program for the next time period is triggered?

Next to consider is if a return to state is desired or keep the switch at the manually adjusted state until the next time period. A return to state would involve capturing the current state, waiting a time period, then reset the state. I have seen examples of "Wait" programs that could be modified for this use.

Does the device used to manually alter a switch's state, either a different switch or keypad (i.e., virtual n-way), make a difference when programming?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  06:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best place to find ISY hints and tips is the ISY forum: http://forum.universal-devices.com

Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3692 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  1:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
During a From To period, when or how often does the ISY send commands to the device?

In your case (with no ELSE action) exactly one time (at 10:00pm).

quote:
Is it possible to combine programs 1 and 4?

Yes

If
Time is from Sunset - 15 minutes
to Sunrise + 10 minutes
Then
Set SinkLightSw On
Else
Set SinkLightSw Off

quote:
If the state of the switch is manually altered during the time period of a program, does that mean the state manually set overrides the programmed state until the program for the next time period is triggered?

yes, unless you have a condition to watch for that change-of-state or something else triggers the program. To be a proficient programmer of the ISY, you MUST understand what triggers a program evaluation.

quote:
Does the device used to manually alter a switch's state, either a different switch or keypad (i.e., virtual n-way), make a difference when programming?

???not sure I understand that question.
Go to Top of Page

Got2Have
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  5:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

???not sure I understand that question.

Let's say during any of the time periods the programs are running the light is turned on/off/dimmed. After a few minutes I would like to return back to the state set by the interrupted time period.

If other devices (switches/keypads) are used to turn on/off/dim the SinkLightSw are they directly changing the state or communicating to SinkLightSw to change the state?

Is there a way to 'escape' and cancel the remaining programs?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3692 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  03:17:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can monitor the state of a device during a program period, yes. There are, for example, "control" and "status" conditions which trigger a program evaluation when the device is touched, or when the device status changes state for any reason, respectively. These conditions could be used as part of a program to achieve your goals, I expect. It may take multiple programs, but I do not see a problem.

Some program actions can be interrupted. This includes "Wait" and "Repeat". Yes, one could monitor the state of a device, or a program status, to interrupt a wait statement, or to disable a program.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page