Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 A 3 way (SPDT) smart wifi light switch w/ sensor?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starson17
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  10:24:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've looked for, but been unable to find a 3 way (SPDT) smart wifi light switch, preferably w/ an output sensor. Here's my situation, and I suspect it's a common one. I've got many standard 3 way switches to control lights. A first switch is located at one end of a hall to turn on the hall lights and a second one is located at the far end to turn them off.

The switches are the old small style, not the new "designer" large flat switches.

What I'm looking for is a wifi controlled drop in replacement for the last switch in the chain. That switch has a neutral connection, others in the chain do not.

I'd accept a switch that just switches under wifi control, but ideally, it would detect the status of the center pin and signal on or off state of the switch (to the wifi control app) when that center pin changes state as someone throws the other switch in the hall. That would allow the app to tell me when the light is on our off.

I'm disabled and need to control the light from bed. I can see the light, so I don't actually require the sensor part. Currently, I just use an on off wifi switch, but that means no one else can turn on the lights as they enter the hall.

It should be very simple to design and build, but I can't find one for sale. Does anyone know where I can find one or have any other suggesrions? The other hall switch has no neutral connection.

Thanks!

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3692 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  1:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot recall your specific item, but you are correct...yours is a common situation. I would imagine the most common solution would be to replace both switches (re-purposing a couple of conductors would be needed) with a smart switch and link the two. Certainly insteon switches would work here, but you would need something like the hub to control them via an app.

While I cannot offer any first-hand experience with the hub, my gut reaction is that you should try a couple of insteon switches and a hub and an amazon echo (or google home or equivalent). Install the insteon switches at both locations and link them to the hub and to each other (one switch virtually controls the other). Add them to the echo and you have instant voice control over your lighting circuit.

It will not be especially cheap (perhaps around $200 total, plus installation if you cannot do yourself) but might be a wonderful solution to your problem.
Go to Top of Page

Starson17
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  12:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the suggestion. I realize I can solve the problem with switches I've seen on the market, like the Insteon. However, it requires:

1. Repurpose wires to send a neutral to the other switches
2. Replace all switches, not just the last one,
3. Buy a hub
4. Replace all the switch plates to accommodate designer style switches
5. Some switches are in multigang boxes with other non designer style switches, so other switches need to be changed, or I need to find multi switch switch plates with one designer style opening and the rest small openings for the existing non designer style switches.

All that is possible, but even then I end up with some switches in the house being designer style and the rest unmatching non designer style.

I'd really prefer a switch that's not designer style if I can find one. Some company must sell something I can adapt for this need.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3692 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  6:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Insteon has the toggle switch along with the decora style.

As an alternative, you could install a micro module in the fixture box, keeping all existing switches. You would still need a hub, but this would be sufficient to control your light via app or voice.
Go to Top of Page

Starson17
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  08:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. It's taken me a while to realize the name of the narrow switch is "toggle." Once I realized that, I was able to find smart switches that are close to what I need.
Go to Top of Page

wiringman
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  09:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious. What specific switch did you decide on (or which are on the short list)? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page