Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Programming keypad button from Hub app
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lakeguy
Average Member

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2018 :  5:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've recently had to reset my whole Insteon setup. When I first set it up, I know I had a process that would allow me to program my keypad buttons to work the same whether through an app push or local button push.

My insteon devices are located on multiple floors, over a wide area, including an outside shed at the far end of the yard. Programming by running around pushing set buttons is not easy.

I know I've found the process description somewhere here before and it worked great. But I didn't bookmark it. Can't seem to find the right keywords to locate it again.

For example, I was able to program things to trigger the same scene, regardless of whether the local button was pushed or the one in the app, and I did this all from the Hub app. No set button pushing required.

Any pointers to the process I remember appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by - lakeguy on 04/29/2018 5:20:03 PM

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10637 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2018 :  1:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For best results, use the app to create Scenes for all setup, avoid manually linking devices.

Any time you want a device button to control a scene, use the Hub app to create a scene and add that button as appropriate—as a Controller, if you only want physically pressing that button to turn it on or off; as a Responder, if you want the button state to reflect a status but not actually control the scene; or as Both, if you want tapping any of controllers of the scene to change the button state, and tapping the button to also control the scene.

To keep all devices synced up, when using the app, always control the Scene any time you want more than one device to respond to a Hub command.
Go to Top of Page

lakeguy
Average Member

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2018 :  3:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I had done everything you explained except for 1 step, and your write-up helped me understand that. All is now working great and I appreciate your help!

Edited by - lakeguy on 04/30/2018 3:26:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page