Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Minimum battery voltage for 2844-222
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erodrigu
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  1:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Motion sensor 2844-222 stopped working, low battery alarm on ISY is indicating off. Battery voltage is 1.5, what is the minimum voltage that this sensor can operate?

oberkc

USA
3745 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2018 :  12:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I could help, but I only offer to suggest that batteries tested under load can not hold the voltage when tested with a simple volt meter.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5820 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2018 :  1:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2844-222 Motion Sensor II uses a Lithium CR123 battery. It has a voltage of three volts when fresh.

1.5 volts is half the normal voltage. I can't say how low the sensor can go. I would change it.

1.5 volts for a CR123A is the cutoff voltage in the specification sheets curve charts.

Where you reading it under load or with an unloaded meter. It could be dropping lower than 1.5 volts when it wakes up and sends an Insteon message.

Edited by - BLH on 05/02/2018 1:23:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Erodrigu
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2018 :  2:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

The 2844-222 Motion Sensor II uses a Lithium CR123 battery. It has a voltage of three volts when fresh.

1.5 volts is half the normal voltage. I can't say how low the sensor can go. I would change it.

1.5 volts for a CR123A is the cutoff voltage in the specification sheets curve charts.

Where you reading it under load or with an unloaded meter. It could be dropping lower than 1.5 volts when it wakes up and sends an Insteon message.

I was reading with an unloaded meter, & like oberkc also mentioned, must be dropping less than 1.5. I was able to to check it using the micro USB power, & was able to get it to work. Batteries are on order. Plan to use a Smarthome hub the I have never used, to change the parameters (night only & countdown) & hopefully the battery will last longer. Thanks for your help. Are the specification sheets curve charts on the Smarthome website? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5820 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2018 :  3:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I found them by a web search for CR139A battery specification . Found a few manufacturers sheets on them. Depending on the manufacturer. Some where 1550mAh while others where 1400mAh. Though they may not be tested at the same discharge rate or what they call discharged.

The Full Users Manual indicates 6 to 18 months on a battery. Depending on frequency of use. I suspect it also be influenced by the battery brand being used.

When on battery power. The motion sensor should go into a power saving mode so the battery should last long but can't be accessed by a controller like a ISY994i until woken up.

I don't think the ISY994i completely supports the new sensors options in the last released firmware 4.6.2 but the V5.? Alpha does. Some change the options settings with a HUB and then use it in their ISY994i.

Edited by - BLH on 05/02/2018 4:07:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Erodrigu
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2018 :  12:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

No I found them by a web search for CR139A battery specification . Found a few manufacturers sheets on them. Depending on the manufacturer. Some where 1550mAh while others where 1400mAh. Though they may not be tested at the same discharge rate or what they call discharged.

The Full Users Manual indicates 6 to 18 months on a battery. Depending on frequency of use. I suspect it also be influenced by the battery brand being used.

When on battery power. The motion sensor should go into a power saving mode so the battery should last long but can't be accessed by a controller like a ISY994i until woken up.

I don't think the ISY994i completely supports the new sensors options in the last released firmware 4.6.2 but the V5.? Alpha does. Some change the options settings with a HUB and then use it in their ISY994i.

Thanks for the info.will probably try the HUB to change settings; have a couple lying around that I have never used.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page