Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 Question about smoke detector design flaw
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

timothymiles
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  07:51:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit timothymiles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a SimpliSafe system. I just discovered that if the smoke detector goes of, I need to first press the test/silence button for 5 seconds.. and THEN enter the pin code into the keypad to stop the monitoring company from calling the fire department. Naturally, I can't be answering the phone while trying to silence the alarm so the fire department gets called before I can fully silence the alarm and cancel the call.

Just wondering if all wireless systems operate the same way. Seems to me, since regulations require that the smoke alarm operate independently from the monitoring system, that I should be able to cancel the call using the keypad only then work on silencing the alarm via the test button
Hope some of you with other systems can comment so I can discover if this design flaw is unique to SimpliSafe or if it's everywhere.
thanks

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
800 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  12:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not as much a design as a legal problem. Police and/or fire stations avoid being connected directly to the detection devices to prevent their response to false alarm. Thus monitoring stations are to make the judgment call whether the alarm is real or false. How can those (often underpaid) employees do that in a few seconds they have? Should they miss a real alarm there could be legal repercussions. It's safer for them to call the alarm ASAP, then take the wrath of the responding authority. Same goes for the alarm device design should it delay unsafe condition reporting.

GJN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page