Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Confusing neutral wire - dimmer switch install
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elviso33
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2018 :  1:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

I've installed about 10 insteon switches and when the wiring is straightforward it's been pretty easy, however I have one that is confusing and thought I would get some advice.

I have a switch box with the set of romex wires (B/W/G) from top (to recessed lights) and set of wires (B/W/G) from the bottom. I figured out that the bottom B is the line (main power). The bottom B and top W are nutted together and connected to the line of switch supplying the power (~120 v). The top B is the load and connected as so (0v when off and ~120 when on). The confusing thing is that the W from the bottom which should be connected to the top W and should be the neutral is not being used that way. As I mentioned, the top W is connected to the line so it seems that it is supplying power to something else. The bottom W is nutted with the G and is sitting alone.

So my question is will the insteon switch work if I have line and load connected as it should but neutral connected to the house breaker but NOT to the recessed lights? Obviously I would un-nut the W from the ground and create two different connections (all the grounds together and insteon neutral to circuit breaker but not fixture neutral).

Hope this makes sense and would appreciate your input.

Thank you.
Paul

oberkc

USA
3745 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2018 :  03:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I suspect insteon will work fine here, but I would want to find out what is going on. Have you opened the fixture box yet, to determine where the top white wire continues, and from where the fixture gets a neutral? You may have some safety concerns as it is currently wired.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5820 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2018 :  10:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second the suggestion that you look at the wiring in the fixture and make notes.
In a switch loop circuit or a three way circuit. White can be a Line connection. Many times marked with a black marker or black electrical tape. So you may find the fixtures neutral is inside the fixture.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page