Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Strange Behavior with 2477SA2 240V 30A N/C RELAY
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Church
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2018 :  05:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just replaced this one after a previous one ran for about 4 years on a water heater. I really got it to be a phase bridge and thought it would be nice to have vacation mode for the water heater...

At any rate, I left on a business trip and was called the next day that there was no hot water. I checked my Sense app and noticed that Water Heater had not drawn power for almost 24 hours, but the Insteon App shows that Water Heater is on. Not being able to see the device status I just power cycled the relay and then I saw on Sense that it was drawing power again. Chalked it up to maybe accidentally turning it off and some sort of sync issue with being on cellular data while using the Indigo App. This morning, it happened again but I was home, went into the garage and saw the module was switched off (red light) however both Indigo mobile and desktop Apps showed it was on, even after asking for a status. I turned it on from mobile anyway while watching it and then the relay switched on.

Looking at the logs on Indigo, I don't seem to see where it was ever turned off or reported off. In fact, I saw the "load active (button 2)" cycle on/off a few times which in my mind would mean that the water heater relay was on during that time but I could be wrong.

In the 4 years prior, I've not seen this issue... Wondering if this is just a coincidence or if I should just return this and give up on this product. Pics and screenshots below, any thoughts?

Relay showing red (off). Load Active on.

Status in Indigo mobile App when it showed "off". This could just be a problem with Indigo so I'm not saying this is proof of anything.

Showing the (button 2) cycling a few minutes before checking on it. This reds are devices I removed, need to clean that up...

eighty7
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  8:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I'm new here and I just installed a brand new 2477SA2 and I'm seeing the same thing. I've seen both situations where the Controller was switched ON-Green and OFF-Red and the Load Active LED was Green and at times off, assuming the water heater was not drawing power.

My voltmeter was showing 124V on both Load wires (just before the water heater connection) when the controller was switched ON-Green.

When it was OFF-Red, one line was still putting out 103V and the second was showing 110V.

Also the water heater did not heat properly until I switched the controller to ON-Green. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a N/C relay, when ON-Green, should that break or open the circuit and I should have zero Volts on the load lines, right?

I am a not an electrician, but is it possible that I mis-wired something. I am certain of which pairs come from the breaker panel, does it matter which is Line1 and which is Line2? Are the interchangeable? Same question for the 2 Load wires, are they interchangeable? (I know Line and Load wires are NOT interchangeable, just within those pairs)

Any help from anyone is appreciated.
Bill, I know this post was back in May, but did you return this product.

Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5880 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  12:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a 220 volts circuit?
Is there 220 volts between the two Line Inputs and 120 volts between each line and Neutral?
Should not matter which breaker goes to a Line Input. Same for the two Loads. Either one can go to one of the heaters line inputs.
I have no experience with a 2477SA2 so I can't say about the LED indications.

Added thought. If your meter is a high input impedance. If the heaters thermostat is off so it doesn't need to warm the water. It could be a stray leakage voltage you are reading, a snubber network across the relay contact, the sensing for the Load LED. When the module is Off giving the readings.

Edited by - BLH on 12/01/2018 03:33:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

eighty7
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  8:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your response.

This is a 240V circuit and I'm getting 120V between each line and the ground wire as there is no Neutral wire going to the water heater.

I'm not sure what high input impedance but I put a call into Insteon support and they said that was not normal and someone would get back to me within 48 hours. We'll see when they return my call.

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5880 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  03:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK sounds good. They should have more details.
I still suspect it is just leakage if you happen to be reading it when the heaters thermostat is not calling for heating the water.
Let us know when you get a chance. What support feels maybe the problem.
Go to Top of Page

eighty7
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  11:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tech support says that isn't normal. Level 2 will get back to you within 48 hours. 4 days later, I call back and get to level one and for 20 minutes I jump thru the same hoops and after a 5 minute hold to check with his supervisor, they proceed to tell me that it is normal to have voltage when the switch is off AND when the switch is on.

I ask "well why would I need a relay switch then?"

I will need to follow up with my supervisor and get back to you within 24 hours.

There was no one else available with any more knowledge on this device.

Will keep you posted.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5880 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  3:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it has a sensing circuit for the Load On/Off or if there is a snubber network across the relay contacts to protect them. A meter can show a voltage if their is no load connected or if the heaters not calling for heating up the water.
If you can measure the load wires and verify the heating elements are on. That may show you if it is indeed a problem or normal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page