Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Energy Saving Solutions
 Shower Manager for Kids
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sparks70b
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  1:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased a shower Manager. It is supposed to cut water by 2/3 at a set time. The theory is to shorten shower time saving water. It took weeks before it was shipped and the product was defective. The company admitted that to me. It is hard to find a lot of these devices out there. I came up with what might be a better idea for me.

I have a Vera system installed in my house. I use it to control Insteon and Z wave devices. I could install a valve on the hot water line and program an event when it detects water flow. After the preset time it turns off the hot water. Vera is smart enough as part of the same trigger I could program a timeout period that keeps the valve closed for an additional time period to prevent just turning water off and back on.

I know a leak detecor will shut off on detecting water. I need an insteon or Zwave device that triggers an event on water flow and I can choose how to handle that. The back of the shower in question is in a closet and I can install the device on the plumbing or in. I have seen some zwave devices that install on an existing shutoff valve. I could go with insteon as it would be easy to install an outlet in the closet.

Any suggestion on a device that can trigger an event on the flow of water. I want to keep the price below 100.00 if possible. I saw a zwave device that met that criteria. I am unsure if it detects water flow only responds to leaks.

Thanks

Randy

Autonow
Average Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2018 :  11:36:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Autonow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are lots of ways to do this. The simplest is to buy a smaller water heater. Less hot water = shorter shower. HaHa Teenagers..
Set up a solar shower outside! and be kind to nature.. How long do you shower when you are camping?

There are water meters under $100 you could put in the line and connect to your system, But most home automation systems do not play well with analog signals.
Flow switches are very low cost.
Go to Top of Page

JamesArmijo
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  03:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. Very well said. The same solution was given to us by our uncle. A small water heater in the kid's room would do no harm. We also consulted water heater professionals and they replaced heater for us. It was also necessary to teach kids the value of water and the adverse effects of wasting water.
Go to Top of Page

MichaelCarter259
Average Member

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2018 :  03:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit MichaelCarter259's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Smart shower might solve ur problem
follow this link this might get you some help https://forum.smarthome.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18937

Perfect Home Defense The Best Security System
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page