Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Intercoms & Phones
 wireless door bell
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Heyashik
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2018 :  12:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just purchased this wireless door bell from [url=https://www.adoriclife.com/index.html]Adoric[/url] and an extender (a 2nd ringer) in hopes of having an easy installation, and a range of 150' (or so the packing promised) .. I have come to understand, this is not the case. Although the installation was easy enough, and both ringers work they are plugged in within 15' but .. no farther. What's the point in having an extender that provides no 'extention' of the ringer? Anything more than about 20' then it's out of range. Has anyone had an experience with this product?

Edited by - Heyashik on 07/23/2018 11:26:45 PM

BLH
Advanced Member

5836 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2018 :  04:09:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a model number of the items? We maybe able to look it up ad see what can be found.

Edited by - BLH on 07/17/2018 04:16:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
803 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2018 :  12:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had years of experience with these devices. In general, 150' is just about the maximum (with a little bit of luck) in the open field. Once the devices are brought inside all bets are off. Reflections off metallic objects, e.g. a fridge, a mirror, metal door, can reduce the usable range to just a few feet. You can usually achieve an acceptable operation by trial and error by moving these devices around.
These devices usually operate in the 300MHz range with the 1/4 wavelength approximately one foot. The signal through the house, because of the reflections, is usually distributed in peaks and valleys. Moving one device about a foot in some direction can often bring the signal up from dead.
The above doesn't apply the same way to the modern breed of wireless communications devices such as those used for the IoT! However, products like doorbells are likely to be still using the cheap old technology.
Good luck.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

MichaelHarris259

19 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2018 :  05:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont know why is it bothering you but 150' is a very good range...
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
803 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2018 :  08:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never said the range or the signal propagation characteristics bothered me. I merely stated the facts based on education and years of experience.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5836 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2018 :  10:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
150' is the open air rating.
As Geo pointed out. You may not get 150' if anything is between the two units
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly