Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 X10 pr511 security light/ Insteon alternative?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bibbt
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2018 :  07:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m looking for something to replace my 6 aging x10 pr511 motion security lights. These things were great because I could trigger multiple lights when 1 light senses motion and also control them from keypads inside my home. Is there a Insteon light product like the old PR511 ? Or possibly a way to achieve the same thing by cobbling together some Insteon components with a dumb outdoor double par38 fixture? Surely someone had crossed this bridge before. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bibbt in San Antonio

oberkc

USA
4111 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2018 :  09:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I expect that you can do the same thing with insteon motion sensors in combination with appropriate insteon module (switch, micromodule, inlinelinc) for each light that you wish to control. With the use of insteon scenes, you could trigger anyof the lights by any of the motion sensors.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6191 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2018 :  1:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you using some of the features I have not seen in much else?
Like adjustable sensitivity and if a address reacts to motion or dusk?
Go to Top of Page

bibbt
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2018 :  08:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These PR511 units plus the stuff to control them are the last remaining X10 gear at my house. So far, the Insteon gear is working great to replace my aging X10 stuff.

I have all the PR511 units set up where the motion is only active at night. Yes, the sensitivity controller for the motion and the ambient light are being used and are part of why these units work so nicely(until they get old). I have 6 of the PR511 units split on 2 circuits front and rear of the house using sequential addresses to trigger all when one of the motions gets tripped. Really lights up the yard nice. The units in front also trigger a porch light that I have wired with a concealed X10 wire in dimmer module. . Inside the house I can locally control every single pr511 plus the porch light with some Leviton 4 button transceivers. Porch light control module is also activated by a X10 battery powered motion sensor when I go out the from door. All this has worked great for years until recently things have started to get unpredictable/flaky because of the age of this gear plus all sorts of interference I'm sure. Some of this stuff has been in continuous use for over 10 years easy. I remember being able to buy these PR511 units in a bundle of 5 direct from X10 for $100!!!! Now you will pay that for 1 if you can find someone sitting on some new units. Damn,wish I'd thought to buy a bunch of extras. I sure wish Insteon would make something like these old PR511 units. Someone on this forum mentioned that they did for a short time years ago but I haven't been able to find any photos or literature on it.

Thanks,
Bibbt
San Antonio
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

Are you using some of the features I have not seen in much else?
Like adjustable sensitivity and if a address reacts to motion or dusk?

Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
4111 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2018 :  09:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The insteon motion sensors have sensitivity settings, and can be configured for night only. Unfortunately, I fear those settings are available onny if you have tne necessary software or hub.. I have not used the new motion sensor versions, but the ISY-994 has that ability certainly for the older versions. Hopefully, it has it for the new ones as well. I assume the insteon hub can exploit those settings. I am unsure about anything else (homeseer, perhaps?)
Go to Top of Page

undertaker
Starting Member

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  02:23:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bibbt

I’m looking for something to replace my 6 aging x10 pr511 motion security lights. These things were great because I could trigger multiple lights when 1 light senses motion and also control them from keypads inside my home. Is there a Insteon light product like the old PR511 ? Or possibly a way to achieve the same thing by cobbling together some Insteon components with a dumb outdoor double par38 fixture? Surely someone had crossed this bridge before. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bibbt in San Antonio

I'm tight on time to give details at the moment, so I'll just drop this for now:
RAB STL360HW Super Stealth 360 sensor with twin H101 deluxe shielded Bell floods
RAB STL360HW Super Stealth 360 sensor with twin H101 deluxe shielded Bell floods, White by RAB Lighting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0080IDOHA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_nfd1zbAGHTM1H

Pair with these bulbs (pick your preferred color and spot or flood style):
Hiperkon HyperSelect 18W LED Light Bulb BR40 - E26 Bulb Non-Dimmable (100W Equivalent), 3000K (Soft White Glow), 1320 Lumens, Wide Flood Light Bulb, Indoor Outdoor Bulb UL-Listed (4 Pack)
HyperSelect 18W LED Light Bulb BR40 - E26 Bulb Non-Dimmable (100W Equivalent), 3000K (Soft White Glow), 1320 Lumens, Wide Flood Light Bulb, Indoor Outdoor Bulb UL-Listed (4 Pack) https://wisepick.org/best-outdoor-flood-lights

Hands down worth every penny!

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you want
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page