Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Computer Interfaces
 Raspberry pi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Autonow
Average Member

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2018 :  08:40:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Autonow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anyone been using raspberry pi for ha? Any pros or cons. What has been your experience?

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
815 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2018 :  2:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only con is that you have to write your own code. If you like doing that and have the time, by all means. Other than that it makes no difference what platform you use. In my experience.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6018 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2018 :  3:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may want to look at this forum section. In the X10 forums.
It is all related to Raspberry Pi and Arduino with X10.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?board=153.0
Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen
Average Member

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2018 :  05:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Geo your misinformed you don't need to write your own code if you don't wish to. There are several Linux programs for HA out there already that support several protocols.
True some knowledge of code writing is beneficial but it isn't required. Most codes if require can just be cut and paste into place.

I've only been using a Pi for about 6 months and this is what I've found so far.
The pros of running a pi are
1: the power consumption is far less
2: it can be placed in an out of the way place
(small foot print)
3: Frees up your PC
4: these are setup as servers so no display mous or keyboard needs to be connected to them
5: most software is opensource and free
6: being open source software allows for endusers to add code to expand the software faster (if they share their creations)
7:these have no fan so no noise however you may wish to add one or at least heat sinks

The cons
1:the learning curve if you not familure with Linux setup can be a task
2:these are low power low memory computers thus you can't run to many softwares on them.
3:finding sloutions to issues which arrise can be frustrating as many Linux users aren't as willing to help but point to to read things that most often are not directly helpful.
4:some software options are lacking in clear documentation and most isn't geared to a newbie.
5: these run hot if you have them loaded up a heat sink or fan may be needed if you have a large HA setup.

Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
815 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2018 :  10:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must admit I'm not just misinformed. When it comes to home brewed HA I'm not informed at all. I make living designing safety critical embedded controllers but I never considered building my own HA - except for some repairs and modifications of the purchased modules or making otherwise not available ones. For me it has been simpler to buy stuff off-the-shelf. Besides, modules to drive various loads present too many mechanical and packaging challenges I'd rather not face. From that respect building a controller is easier. I thought a few times about building my own but now that you mention there is some code available on the 'net I may take advantage of it.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen
Average Member

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  05:49:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Telling Autonow they have to code in order to use a PI for HA is miss leading. PIs were designed as learning tools to help learning coding technics on Linux. This leads many to thinking that is still the case.
The price of a Pi Zero W makes it hard not to at least attempt to use a PI for HA. For under $50 you could be up and running (zeroW -$10
Power supply-$15 sd card $10 shipping-$?)

I've only tested a few Pi Home automation programs thus far (4)
all have plugins (modules) for different protocols.
However depending on which program you chose your protocol may not be supported and if you intend on staying with that software or move on will dictate if you have to program code.
I did some coding for one software but it was a simple alteration to an existing module that made it work for my situation. I shared it with the forum members of that software.
Some of these also have versions which will work on Windows but the options may be more or less.

Some Pi softwares have disk images so you just meed to create a SD disk and plug it into the PI and the program loads no interaction required, other then some simple setup questions to answer Like router SID and your location.
Using one of these disk images is the simpleest way to start using a PI for HA but read up on the software prior to installing and ask questions if you see something isn't supported.
Many do not list the X10 CM15 or CM19 as being supported for example. however they are, they list support as being for mochad ( the driver used)
Many of these HA hubs are actually running a SBC under the hood which is what a PI is.
Go to Top of Page

Montana
Starting Member

Sweden
2 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2018 :  01:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a telldus 433 mhz system set up at home with a couple of temperature sensor and some on/off switches. I did dome research on differential type of linux home automation system, but thought they were too complicated to setup, so I wrote my own system on my raspberry.

Tony Karlsson
Go to Top of Page

Autonow
Average Member

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2018 :  07:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Autonow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While the cost of the PI is attractive. What it even more attractive is the interfaces available, Zwave, insteon etc. So would it be possible to use a more robust SBC as the platform. My biggest frustration in the whole HA business is a lack of a standards and the difficulty in integrating different manufactures components. I have had this discussion before but the world is not digital, I want to integrate voltage, current, power, pressure, temperature, humidity, level. flow etc into my system. For a system to be convienient it needs to be integrated and have a one stop interface and not 10 different apps. In order to do this I need better more flexible software than can only run on a computer. But its just my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen
Average Member

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2018 :  05:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You'll not find more flexible software then some of the HA software available for Linux. SBCs mostly are used with this OS but Some like the Pi will run on other OS options.

The world of SBC is constanly expanding and there are some real power houses available.
All SBC are expandible with different addon boards for a wide variity of things.
I run a Pi Zero W at one location controling my HA though that setup is small it runs without issues.
I run A Pi 3B+ at another location this pi doubles as a streaming device as well as controls the HA setup.This to runs well though the streaming sometimes isn't the best as I have a slow connection here.
I've also picked up an ODROID C0 SBC to play with which is only slightly more powerfull then the 3B+ but has a smaller foot print.

I currently run HomeGenie at both locations but there are several others that are more actively being developed.
Have a look at Domoticz, OpenHab and HomeAssitant as these seem to be some of the more popular options for HA software.
I'm sure there is one software that will meet your requirements.

If you don't like running free open sourcesoftware even HomeSeer will run on a PI or other SBC in fact that is what powers their HomeTroller Hub.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page