Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Best option for large home, Alexa and Homekit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ebw6674
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  2:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am hoping to get the group's feedback on what is currently considered the best option for lighting control. My considerations are:

1) My home is about 7,000 sqft spread over three levels, so I'm concerned about systems that use a hub and their range. Not opposed to them just not sure if they would be the best way to go.

2) I am not looking for professional installation. This sort of thing is completely within my ability and I am comfortable with the work.

3) We are very much an Apple house but also make use of several Alexa enabled devices so the smart switches need to support both HomeKit and Alexa.

4) I have a few locations that do not have neutrals in the switch box, so I may need to use smart bulbs in these spots unless there is a solid recommendation for other options.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this duplicates a previous post.

Erik

Erik Wilson

Edited by - ebw6674 on 09/18/2018 2:52:43 PM

oberkc

USA
3843 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  4:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first thing that you should consider is WHAT you are wanting to do. Is it limited to remote control using apple devices and echo? Do you have any interest in automation? Simple timers? More sophisticated programs? Motion? Door sensors? Scenes? Seasonal?

If simple remote control is all you desire, I can think of worse things to do than to simply pick the devices that claim both homekit and echo support.

Keep in mind, many such devices require a hub to act as intermediary between the individual device and homekit or echo. I understand hue lights, for example, require the hue bridge and do not speak directly to alexa or homekit. Personally, I would not be too concerned about the size of the house, but recognize that some devices (z-wave, insteon always come to my mind) communicate better as the numbers of individual devices increase.
Go to Top of Page

ebw6674
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  05:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

The first thing that you should consider is WHAT you are wanting to do. Is it limited to remote control using apple devices and echo? Do you have any interest in automation? Simple timers? More sophisticated programs? Motion? Door sensors? Scenes? Seasonal?

If simple remote control is all you desire, I can think of worse things to do than to simply pick the devices that claim both homekit and echo support.

Keep in mind, many such devices require a hub to act as intermediary between the individual device and homekit or echo. I understand hue lights, for example, require the hue bridge and do not speak directly to alexa or homekit. Personally, I would not be too concerned about the size of the house, but recognize that some devices (z-wave, insteon always come to my mind) communicate better as the numbers of individual devices increase.

Thanks for the note oberkc.

Good points. I am primarily looking for remote control and the ability to light up whole areas of the house at once like when we come home or we think we hear something (I've got a scaredy cat in my house). Vacation timing would be a plus.

Using a hub is one of my concerns though; I've read that for instance that the Lutron Caseta system's hub only has a 30-foot range. I would assume that I'd need 3 or 4 at least.

Can you tell me more about systems that communicate better as their numbers increase? I've not seen anything mentioning that "feature".

Thanks again

Erik Wilson
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3843 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  08:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ebw6674

Can you tell me more about systems that communicate better as their numbers increase? I've not seen anything mentioning that "feature".

Look for "mesh network". I know that insteon and z-wave devices do this, communicating via each other and expanding the range. (these I am most familiar with.) I believe zigbee devices do the same. I am unsure what Lutron caseta uses, but one web page states that caseta does NOT use a mesh network. Some devices use wifi, which I assume you have full coverage throughout your house.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page