Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Insteon Motion Sensor II - outside
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tkovacs
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  06:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This weekend I configured one of these in an outside location and was not pleased with the results:
1) The mount is not secure - anyone could simply pluck it off and walk away with it.
2) Is this unit really weather proof? The battery compartment does not look sealed.
3) It was continually detecting motion where there was none. The controlled lights went on probably 30 times in one night when there was nothing in view.

Has anyone else used this unit outside?

Terry Kovacs

oberkc

USA
3994 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  03:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kerzi, I use one outside. It works well for me. I would, however, be very hesitant to install one in direct exposure to rain and snow. Mine are all under cover.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

317 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  11:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Motion sensor performance depends on location.if exposed directly to light, facing trees/bushes etc, performance can suffer.

In regards to mounting, unless you come up with a way to prevent theft, most sensors can easily be stolen. All mounting options are designed to easily access the sensors to replace batteries which means easily stolen.
Go to Top of Page

eduardo_garcia
Average Member

Brazil
123 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  08:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Send eduardo_garcia an AOL message  Reply with Quote
guys, previous version was waterproof. DO you you know if version 2 is watterproof as well?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3994 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  09:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smarthome makes no claims of waterproof on the web page. It specifies for indoor use only.
Go to Top of Page

kdjerred
Average Member

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  10:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I position my Sensor II’s outdoors under an eve for partial protection from direct exposure to rain which seems to provide enough protection but didn’t realize they weren’t indicated for outdoor use until recently when Smarthome replaced one for me under warranty. I have to direct them downward until they don’t pickup street traffic to reduce false alarms. False alarms aren’t unique to Insteon, I have the same problem with my Nest and Arlo Pro cams. I agree the mount is not as stable as I’d like. In strong winds there is enough movement of the sensor to trigger movement. I do prefer the original motion sensor for outdoor use for these reasons.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page