Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 What LED strips work with smart plugs?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnnyscience
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2018 :  10:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I have some regular LED strips that have a nice gradual fade through the colors, but when they get turned off with a smart plug, it goes back to their initial setup of blinking through the lights, requiring the remote to change back to fade, defeating the point of voice automation.

So what LED strips work with the smart switches I already own? I know there are some LED strips that come with a wifi module that allows it to become part of the network.

I'd imagine finding LED strips that I can use with my current smart plugs would be much cheaper than having to buy the ones with the smart module already built in.

I think I would like options for both to use some LED strips with my existing smart power strips and also some new wifi module kits. Different placements & applications for both I guess.

Edited by - johnnyscience on 10/14/2018 10:16:16 PM

BLH
Advanced Member

5983 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  03:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would help if you could elaborate the smart plugs and led strips. Manufacturer and model numbers.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  05:09:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not entirely sure what you call "LED strips", but I use hue lights, and they seem to go back to prior setting when power is applied. I also purchased some adhesive led strips (color) from batteries plus and they also revert to prior setting when power is applied via my smart plug (insteon).
Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen
Average Member

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  09:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does the remote for your light strips also turn them on and off?
It may be possible to learn the remotes sending codes and have Alexa send those and do away with the smart plug.
However like BLK stated, More info would be helpful
Go to Top of Page

johnnyscience
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2018 :  1:54:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are the smart strips I recently bought and work really good and are a great price. I also like that you can individually control the USB ports:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079BVCVFB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the LED strips, I'm currently using these Aurora by Tzumi, they're pretty nice.

https://www.amazon.com/MagicTV-USB-LED-Backlight-Moodlight/dp/B07831R5J6/ref=asc_df_B07831R5J6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241987930281&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13969961288706810398&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015329&hvtargid=pla-400031484718&psc=1

They do come with a remote, but if they continue to revert back to the original factory settings, these just aren't going to work for my application.

I'm all for upgrading to the right kind of LED strips that allow you full voice control with memory so they don't revert back to the original settings and maintain whatever settings you set.

Edited by - johnnyscience on 10/16/2018 1:55:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen
Average Member

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2018 :  2:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you turn the lights off with the remote then back on with it do they come back on to the previous setting?
it sounds like the remote is an IR remote and the code may be learnable with a Broadlink RM. if so this would allow Alexa control via the Broadlink skill.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyscience
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2018 :  02:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes when using the remote the settings stay in place, but when the smart switch turns them off, they reset.

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5983 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2018 :  03:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is possible.
When you used the remote. The LED strip turns Off but the 5 volt USB power from the Smart Strip keeps them powered. So they remember their settings.

When you turn Off the Smart Strip. The 5 volts USB power also goes away and the LED strip defaults to it power On default setting.

As a test.
Trying a device like a cell phone charging or the LED strip turned On. Connected to the Smart Strips USB Jack. If the LED strip or device charging go Off when the Smart Strip is turned Off. Then you know the Smart Strip is also turning Off the 5 volt USB power to external USB devices.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyscience
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  6:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that's exactly what is happening, so these LEDs are not smart home compatible.

What are some good smart LED strip options that are reasonably priced?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page