Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 I can't decide which one to buy - smart lightning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EEvic
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2018 :  11:20:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to decide which of these smart lighting solutions:
Knocki, Wink Hub, TP Link Smart Bulb or Philips Hue, please advise and if you have any experience with any of these, please share. Thank you!

oberkc

USA
3842 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2018 :  5:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are you hoping to achieve? Why not smart things? Why not ISY-994? Things to consider:

- local operation or cloud dependency?
- is it important that you can continue to control your house through light switches?
- automation (things work without manual intervention) or remote control?
- whole house or more limited?
- do you have any preferences for zigbee, z-wave, wifi, insteon, don'tcare, ....

I use some hue devices, but it is a relatively small portion of my home automation. I use them mostly for some accent lighting and color. I find them near 100% reliable but I would not choose to use them for primary lighting. I prefer to automate my house through the switches rather than smart bulbs. This could affect your choices.

Ultimately, you should start by deciding your goals, both near-term and far.
Go to Top of Page

theiotpad
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  5:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit theiotpad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know it isn't on your list, but I have had great success with Lutron Caseta.

I ended up with them because my condo is in a 100-year old building that was cheaply renovated in the 1990s. The electrician didn't run neutrals to the switches. Lutron makes one of the few switches that work without a neutral.

Word of advice, check your wiring before you make a selection. If you don't have neutrals in your switch back-box then you will be limited in your choices.

Also, I agree with oberkc...I prefer switches over bulbs. Smart switches work just like regular switches, but you get the added benefit of smart technology/scheduling/geofencing/etc.

Bulbs require the switch to remain on (you control it via the app). If a visitor or non-techie family member flips the switch off then your smart bulb loses power and won't work until you flip the switch back on.
Go to Top of Page

EEvic
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  04:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theiotpad

I know it isn't on your list, but I have had great success with Lutron Caseta.

I ended up with them because my condo is in a 100-year old building that was cheaply renovated in the 1990s. The electrician didn't run neutrals to the switches. Lutron makes one of the few switches that work without a neutral.

Word of advice, check your wiring before you make a selection. If you don't have neutrals in your switch back-box then you will be limited in your choices.

Also, I agree with oberkc...I prefer switches over bulbs. Smart switches work just like regular switches, but you get the added benefit of smart technology/scheduling/geofencing/etc.

Bulbs require the switch to remain on (you control it via the app). If a visitor or non-techie family member flips the switch off then your smart bulb loses power and won't work until you flip the switch back on.

That's a very good point, then I'll focus on those ones and will check Lutron Caseta
Go to Top of Page

MichaelCarter259
Average Member

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2018 :  10:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit MichaelCarter259's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you just want a single smart bulb that you're happy to control via app or Alexa, the TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi LED Bulbs work well and produces light on a par with Philips Hue bulbs. But, using Wi-Fi makes the entry-level bulbs expensive compared to the competition, and I've found Zigbee bulbs to be more reliable.

Perfect Home Defense The Best Security System
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page