Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Surveillance
 Wireless Security Cameras Suggestion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ethen94

22 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  12:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in the process of installing an EnGenius ENH210EXT (long-range 2.4GHz Wireless N300 Outdoor Access Point) to be able to bring wifi to the outside yard. As part of my project, I would like to have 2-3 wireless IP outdoor security cameras added into the system.

I have power at the sites where each of the cameras will be and they will be located about 200 feet and less from the ENH210EXT.

May main goal is for viewing our animals while in the house, as well as online. I am not necessarily recording and / or audio. One PTZ camera would be considered as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cameras? Thanks for any guidance or suggestions.

Also, is it the camera that becomes the issue with regards to connecting it to wifi or the strength of the wifi signal to the camera that is the bigger factor?

MichaelCarter259
Average Member

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  03:32:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit MichaelCarter259's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you have line of sight between the camera area and the access point?

200 feet might be a bit far for a good signal unless it's open air.. You may need a high gain directional antennas and bridge to get the signal you need..

You can take a laptop down there and do a speed test to see what kind of bandwidth you can get.

What is your budget for this project? Do you need HD?

If you are on a tight budget and you don't mind SD you can get a really cheap $100 or less PTZ outdoor WIFI camera and enclosure made by Wanscam..

If you forego PTZ you can get a decent fixed WIFI HD cameras for around $150-200, or for $50 or less you can get cheap SD fixed outdoor cameras.

I have 4 (soon to be 5) indoor Wanscams for a couple years now and I can say they are reliable, give decent picture for an SD camera, have very good night vision and are compatible with almost every piece of software/hardware as they are a Foscam clone.

Perfect Home Defense The Best Security System

Edited by - MichaelCarter259 on 10/29/2018 9:22:32 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page