Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 Upgrading Security System
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ethen94

22 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  8:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there. I believe it's time for a different system, though I'm not having any problems currently with my Lorex Eco - it's very outdated and the video quality is a bit spotty. I have always wanted something with the ability to zoom in and (perhaps?) even get license plates, but I don't know if this is a realistic expectation with a security system. I've read conflicting reports on that.

The system I have now records to DVR on a 1TB hard drive, which is fine. I am not opposed to having recording elsewhere (such as Cloud) but I'd rather not pay a monthly fee, which seems like it often comes with cloud service. Due to this, I figure I need a DVR system like I have now. I currently have a 4 camera system, and I don't feel I need more necessarily, but I'm open to the idea.

I feel like I want the best resolution and one of the best systems possible as I do not want to be in this situation of needing to upgrade again for quite a while. It's such a hassle upgrading, taking down the cameras, etc. I am not sure whether or not I want wireless (which is what my Lorex system is) or wired. I guess it doesn't matter that much. I've looked on several retailers and I can find all kinds of things available. I even found a 5K Swann system, but without a DVR. What is the best technology as far as resolution goes? 4K? 5K? It's so hard to tell what is the best, as some reference megapixels, and others just say "5K", etc. I guess I just feel I could use some direction.

MichaelCarter259
Average Member

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  01:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit MichaelCarter259's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go wired and if running new wire go IP. 4k is about the top resolution in the reasonably priced range. You can certainly get higher MP but you'll be paying for it...not to mention it's probably overkill for residential. Hikvision and Hikvision OEM is a great product for the price point.

Perfect Home Defense The Best Security System

Edited by - MichaelCarter259 on 10/29/2018 11:30:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
815 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  2:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wireless is great IF stringing wires is a problem. Other than that, in my mind, wired wins every time. It's nearly impossible to hack without gaining physical access to it, there are no batteries to worry about, resolution of interference and environmental variables is much simpler than with RF.

GJN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page