Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 Securing Bedrooms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ethen94

22 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  02:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the innovations in home security equipment almost every home is safe from outside but are there any precautions to secure bedroom?

MichaelCarter259
Average Member

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2018 :  11:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit MichaelCarter259's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your bedroom is a personal space to relax and rest. You don’t like anyone to enter your room without your permission. Some of you even keep it locked.This is a good practice from a security point too.

Rising burglary and robbery cases make it important to take steps for ensuring your personal room safety.

9 in 10 burglars and home invaders come straight to bedrooms. They think they can find precious belongings and cash over there.

5-tips-to-secure-your-bedroom Precaution to take

Get Your Room Locked With A Smart Door Lock
Keep Cupboards, Drawers And Safes Closed
Use Home Alarm Devices Wisely
Go to Top of Page

nicenancy
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  5:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why not use the wifi alarm, the button you can put at the bdeside. Any dangerous only need to press the button to send out the alarm.

Of course, prepare some Self-defense sticks together much better.
Go to Top of Page

Spektyr
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2019 :  07:57:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've actually done this before and the methods are largely determined by how secure (or paranoid) the occupants want to be.

What I recommend as a basic level of security against intruders is exterior-grade doors hung on the bedrooms combined with standard slide locks on the inside - two per door. Many doors are available with matching interior and exterior styles so you can even get exterior doors to match the existing interior doors and don't "give away" the extra security present. Slide locks are mounted a third of the way down from the top and a third of the way up from the bottom to provide sound structure against forcing the door, and the hinges should be installed using 2.5" or longer screws.

That doesn't prevent someone from breaking down the door, but it sure as heck is going to slow them way, way down. (It's literally faster to break through a wall in most cases.)

In the instance of an on-suite master bathroom the same thing can be done on that door to provide an additional fall-back position in the event of a particularly determined intruder.

It's low-tech, but it works. The goal generally isn't to protect against a determined attacker with a personal grudge, but rather to present a level of security that encourages bad actors to seek easier prey. But even in the event of a motivated bad guy, you gain significant additional time for police to respond or other measures to be employed to counter the aggressive force.
Go to Top of Page

MarkMorris
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2019 :  10:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the above posted ideas.
Go to Top of Page

JordanGood
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2020 :  2:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Send JordanGood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that closing your bedroom means simply abandoning all your values and all that is at home. I believe a good lock on the door will make a trick but you can also install a special security system that detects intruders all night. Personally I would reinforce the front door and that’s all. When I had to change my doors i decided to stick with the modern design looking doors but with a good security system. I searched for a very long time because I wasn’t really able to find the design I wanted. But luckily for me i could finally find the design I wanted on doordesignlab . They helped me to pick the perfect door for my apartment so that it matches the design of my house and still had a good security system. I am really pleased with the results.

Edited by - JordanGood on 07/17/2020 2:03:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

miketom
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2020 :  9:47:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this thread. Informative.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly