Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Smart Light Bulbs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

facecard
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  08:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a newbie. I was looking into buying a Smart Bulb one with Wifi capabilities. I know there are some brands out there like Hue, TP-Link, etc.. that offer some Wifi capability.

I don't care about the colored type of bulb. I just want a white color type is fine. I want to be able to turn on the light before I come home when it is dark outside.

1. Which brand is reliable and worth the money?
2. Is Sengled Element a good brand?
3. Warranty? How long does Smart Light Bulbs last?
4. Can I use any light fixture?

oberkc

USA
3783 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  10:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think hue bulbs communicate via wifi. Rather, I think they communicate directly to their hub, which can communicate with your home network. I have a few of the hue devices. They work well and I have not had any trouble with them.

Like most smart bulbs, Hue devices need to be constantly powered. This means that if you put them into a fixture that has a switch, and someone turns off the switch, the smart bulb becomes not so smart.
Go to Top of Page

facecard
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  11:28:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that some bulbs like Hue need a hub to act as the middle man but I don't know if I want that type or not. I was thinking of Smart bulbs that directly connect to the Wifi. I don't know which is more reliable using a bulb that directly connects to the router or a bulb that needs a Hub.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3783 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  1:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, in your original post you mentioned "hue" bulbs having "some wifi capability". I just wanted to seek clarification on whether it was important to you that such bulbs connect to wifi directly.

All my lighting devices connect through some type of hub. I cannot speak from experience about bulbs that connect directly through wifi. I would say, however, that I am personally opposed to smart bulbs in my house. I want to control lighting through switches when convenient. I would not rely exclusively on a phone or tablet for lighting control.
Go to Top of Page

facecard
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  08:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I am new to this forum and SMART light bulbs. I am looking for general information. I am looking for stability and reliability with Smart Light bulbs whether it is using a "hub" to connect to the Wifi or using a light bulb with built in Wifi. Perhaps, using a Smart Switch is better.

1. Hub with Wifi---Best, Good, Bad (Router-----HUB----Lights)
2. Light bulb with Wifi----Best, Good, Bad (Router------Lights)
3. Smart switch with Wifi---Best, Good, Bad (Router----Switch----Lights)

Here on the East Coast, it gets dark at 4pm. If I am out and I forget to put a light on, I just want to simply go on my phone and turn it on. I get some status on the phone that it is on. Again, I am looking for reliability and which is the best choice.

Edited by - facecard on 11/20/2018 08:48:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3783 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  4:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am guessing that I am not unique, in that I have not tried every type of smart light bulbs. Given this, I am in no position to offer any first hand advice on which is bad, good, or best. All I can tell you is what I have used (insteon, z-wave, hue) and they all work well. If I had to judge from my own experience which was the most reliable responder of those three, I would say it is hue. I would also opine that the communication between router and hub is generally rock solid, especially if wired in. The weak link would be the last leg...to the actual lighting device.

Given what you state are your desires (remote control of some lighting), I would simply start with homekit or google home compatible devices and start your selection process from there. With iOS, you will need a base station of some type to provide the outside control (typically an apple TV or iPad that stays in the house). I think you need something similar with google home (perhaps a google hub?). Or, go all in on hue and use the Hue app. (I would want a broader choice that homekit or google home provide.)
Go to Top of Page

facecard
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  08:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OBerkc~ I appreciate your comments and thoughts. I am not a Google guy. I am an Apple guy. I do have an Amazon Echo but I would not use to control devices though.

Can anyone else provide their thoughts and opinion?
Go to Top of Page

facecard
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  05:32:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the Philips Hue bridge connect through Wifi or hard wired to the router? Also, does the Bridge and light bulbs have to be in the same room or can the Bridge be in a separate room?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3783 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  10:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have my bridge hard-wired, but I do not recall whether it MUST be.

None of my hue devices are in the same room as the bridge.
Go to Top of Page

facecard
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  08:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What type of lamp are you using with a19 bulbs? A floor lamp or table lamp?

I am looking for either a floor lamp or table lamp. Most floor lamps are 3 way fixture. I don't need a 3 way lamp if I am using a19 bulbs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page