Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy | Do Not Sell My Info
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thermostats & HVAC Control
 Wifi Thermostats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

facecard
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2018 :  07:26:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an old home built in 1970s and I have a Peerless burner and Riello 40. I use oil for heat and hot water. I have baseboard heating throughout the house. I have a separate thermostat to control the AC unit. I have two floors and two zones. Currently, I am using Hunter thermostat which is not cost effective and I can't control it on the phone or away from the home. These have to be programmed manually which is not always helpful.

I am thinking of Nest OR Ecobee 4. I know the benefits of each but I am not sure which is the BEST option for my home.

RoccoDay
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2019 :  04:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in confusion how could you use oil for heating?
Go to Top of Page

facecard
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2019 :  07:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ROCCO. Well I will do my best to help in your confusion. I am not sure what you are confused about but.... Most homes where I live (Long Island) have an oil tank and oil (expensive) gets delivered to my home during the winter season. As I said before, I have a Peerless burner and Riello 40. If you are not sure what those are..Google it. I use oil to provide heat and hot water with the help of a Peerless burner. I am not a fan of oil and I don't have a choice in the matter.

I am not going to rehash or elaborate any further on what I am asking or looking to do.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6157 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2019 :  03:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know if the Thermostat locations. That now have the Hunters. Are powered through the wiring to the heat furnace and AC unit, have batteries or are plain mechanical? Reason I asked. The intelligent thermostats would need power from the system to be powered up.

Edited by - BLH on 04/27/2019 09:48:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Occone
Starting Member

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  09:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a slight advantage. Ecobee4 gets all its energy from the network, the Nest Learning Thermostat boasts a built-in rechargeable battery. Most of the time, Nest will also be powered by the network, but in the event of a power outage, it will be able to rely on its battery.
This is not a cause for daily concern, but if you absolutely need the thermostat control to work within a few seconds after the electricity returns to your home, the Nest thermostat has an advantage here. The de-energized ecobee4 will first have to reboot when the power is turned on, which means that you have to wait a little while until it “revives” again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2020 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page