Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Christmas LED lights with old controllers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chaspear
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2018 :  10:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just replaced all our C7 incandescent Christmas lights with C7 LEDs.
Using my legacy (RS & X-10) appliance modules to switch them resulted in the C7 LED lights staying ON in a DIM state when switched OFF.
I added a triple plug and an old manual switch type night light fixture with one of my old C7 incandescent bulbs in parallel with the LED load and that provided sufficient load to allow the controller to fully turn off the new LED lights.
Not a very elegant solution, but cheap and effective for the Christmas season use.

Chas

Chas

BLH
Advanced Member

5911 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2018 :  1:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reminder. The incandescent night light bulb fix. Has been used by X10 module users with LED loads.
Go to Top of Page

chaspear
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2018 :  6:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to change the night light bulb to some other type of load that allows the modules to fully turn off the LED lights, are you aware of any other solutions (high ohm resistor across the leads?) that people have used?
Since this is just a seasonal need, not a big issue, and I can always just unplug the lights at night, but figured this issues has been addressed by others, looking for better suggestions.

Chas
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5911 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  03:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not seen this for LED glowing specifically. I know that some have used a 33,000 OHM resister for things like CFL bulbs triggering the Local Control Sensing for both X10 Lamp and Appliance modules. So I can't say it would 100% work.
The wattage at 120 volts AC is .43 watts. A 33,000 OHM 1 watt would give you some safety margin. Though .43 watts is below a 33,000 OHM 1/2 watt rating.

I have seen some using an old phone charger but some do make power line noise or signal suck the X10 power line signals.

Edited by - BLH on 11/27/2018 03:21:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
815 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  06:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This issue has been recurring every year end with many solutions. Other than a small incandescent lamp you can use pretty well any type of a load to bleed the minimum current. Resistors, small incandescent night lamps ... I've also see a small plug-in air freshener. Just remember two things - unless you use a standard component, such as a plug-in lamp, exercise proper caution and keep the electrical code in mind. Second, the bleeder, depending on the type, may get quite hot. Keep it in mind and don't start a fire.

GJN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page