Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Switchmate?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rajung

17 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  05:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one room left that I want to have the ceiling light automated, mainly set on a schedule. I have many Insteon and WeMo switches but this room switch has no neutral wire. have been using a battery operated timer that flips the switch but want to get away from setting the time .Purchased a switchmate without doing much research and it is only Bluetooth.They do make a switchmate zip item but I can not find one anywhere and might be discontinued , its a plug in module that converts wifi to Bluetooth. Anyone know of another item that will work especially a Wifi version of a switch flipper , for lack of better words?
Many homes have switches that are missing a neutral wire and this would be my only option without cutting wall open

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10676 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  07:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you don’t have the tools or time to pull new wiring, you can use two Insteon devices to do the same thing. Just repurpose the two wires going to the wall switch to carry the necessary line and neutral, cap the load wire on the SwitchLinc, and link to a Micro Module installed at the fixture box.
Go to Top of Page

rajung

17 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  6:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info Tfitzpatri8
Go to Top of Page

rajung

17 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  04:04:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well this is strange? Yesterday the light switch that I have the switchmate attached to came on, I thought my wife manually turned on the light so I shut it off.
Today the light came back on and it was the time that I had scheduled on the switchmate phone app.
My Bluetooth on phone is off, rarely have it on and the phone is shut off.
This switchmate device is only Bluetooth!
I have around 20 Insteon devices and 3 Insteon outdoor HD cameras , 6 WeMo devices, 12 Logitech alert security cameras- 6 on PoE and other 6 on the Logitech home plugs, Night Hawk range extender. GoGo gate garage door openers, a Samsung 4 camera DVR-Cat 5 cable, 10 Wion Wifi switches, no Alexa, Google Home or the like, I know , Right?
I am totally confused what this thing is getting a signal from
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3783 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  06:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it possible that the phone app configures the switchmate, and once configured, all schedules and actions are recorded in the switchmate itself?
Go to Top of Page

rajung

17 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  07:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Suppose that's possible, From all I could find out about this strange thing is its Bluetooth and can be operated via wifi remotely if you have a hub such as google or so otherwise its strictly Bluetooth.
I guess I don't know how it tells what time it is other than initial app set up.I may have to move it outside somewhere and see if it switches on at set time . If it works that's a lot easier than adding a insteon micro module running another neutral wire fort something that is not a big issue, mainly wanted to avoid setting the timer " time" of day especially at DST and loss off accurate time over a few months

Edited by - rajung on 12/02/2018 08:08:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

rajung

17 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  10:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like you are right oberkc, looked up a bunch of youtube videos and finally found one that explains the timer .
It is in fact stored internally on the controller.
Thanks for your thought.
I certainly wish many times that documentation that is supplied with items has more than 4 pictures and nothing else, the website was not anymore help
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3783 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  1:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I certainly wish many times that documentation that is supplied with items has more than 4 pictures and nothing else, the website was not anymore help

Yes, that would be nice, but a little curiosity, a computer, and google are very nice tools to have. Well done.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page