Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 App won't control some switches
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GLAV

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2018 :  6:56:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit GLAV's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I installed about twenty 2477D and 2477S dimmers and switches with a 2245-222 hub today in a large basement. Pairing of all devices went very smoothly with the app. My problem is that only five of the switches will actually turn on/off with the app. With the other fifteen when I tap On or Off, nothing happens. The status of these switches is always correct in the app however, so if I manually turn on the switch the little green light immediately shows up in the app. Any ideas on what could be the issue? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10676 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2018 :  7:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you control individual devices, only that one device (and whatever you connected directly to that one device’s load wire) will respond, not other devices that you have linked as responders to that device. Any time you want to control more than one device at a time, use a scene instead.
Go to Top of Page

GLAV

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2018 :  8:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit GLAV's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe I didn’t write it out clearly enough. I’m not trying to control all the switches at the same time. 5 individual switches work perfectly from the app. However when I try to control any one of the other 15 switches individually from the app nothing happens. For example: the light by the stairs works perfectly, I can turn on the light at the switch itself or in the app. But the light over the pool table will only work at the switch itself. When I try to turn it on in the app, the status indicator on it’s icon in the app doesn’t change and the light does not turn on/off. If I manually turn it on/off at the switch the status indicator in the app changes correctly according to the light’s physical status. So the app can obviously communicate or “see” the switch if it knows what the status is, so why won’t it turn it on/off?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10676 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2018 :  8:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be signal interference or a bad setting. Check Settings, Devices, then look at the pool table switch. Change the On Level to 99%, change the ramp rate to instant or fast, tap Done, then retest.

If that doesn’t correct it, you’ll need to offer more info on your setup. Is there only one switch controlling the pool table? Is the pool table light wired directly to the red load wire on that switch, or is there another module involved?
Go to Top of Page

GLAV

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2018 :  9:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit GLAV's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’ve tried playing with the ramp rate and level with no change. I have 15 different switches behaving the same way as the pool table switch and they are all wired directly to their respective lights. I also added all of the switches to a scene and when I trigger that scene five of the switches respond correctly and the other 15 do nothing. I am positive they are all wired correctly. I have installed over 100 Insteon switches and other devices in four different houses and this is the first time I’ve ever had a problem with any of them.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10676 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2018 :  9:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In that case, I’d look at possible signal interference on the circuits involved.
Go to Top of Page

GLAV

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  04:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit GLAV's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, what am I looking for? What causes interference and how do I fix it?
Go to Top of Page

katmike
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  05:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was me, the first thing I'd try is swapping locations of switches to see if problem stays with the switch vs the location. In your example, swap the stairs switch with the pool table switch. At least you isolate it's either the switch or location. If the problem follows the switch, factory reset it and try again. Beyond that I wouldn't know.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10676 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  1:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might be easier to swap the outlet where the Hub is plugged in. You can even use an extension cord to plug it into an outlet in a different room.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page