Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 ToggleLinc Dimmer 2466DI showing unknown status in
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drbissonnette
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2018 :  08:34:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently my front door toggle shows unknown status in the ios app. I can control it at the door but the app will not turn it on or off. This switch has been in place for a couple years and has worked great. I have a scene with the front door lights and garage lights. The scene does not work either. I have tried to remove it from the app but it says it cannot find it to remove it. I have done a factory reset at the switch, still no joy. Also last year I converted the outdoor lights to permanent led's, which have worked fine on the dimmable sitches.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10686 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2018 :  08:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Programming and status request signals are more vulnerable to interference, since the former is a longer message and the latter is considered the lowest priority message in the communications protocol. I suspect the specific LED lighting you installed is creating noisy signal interference on the power lines. If you unscrew or disconnect that new load, does it work as expected?
Go to Top of Page

drbissonnette
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2018 :  12:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can try but they have been working for over a year now.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10686 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2018 :  12:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing about noise is, it is cumulative. You might start talking to someone in a coffee shop and be able to hear them just fine over the occasional blender and steamer sounds, and you might still be able to hear them okay when the Muzak starts playing Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer. But when just one more person a couple of tables behind you starts talking on their phone, suddenly all bets are off.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5911 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2018 :  5:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As some electronic devices start aging. They also can start making more power line noise.
Some LED bulbs have also been seen to start making more power line noise as they age.
Some thing new. Like a new cell phone charger or moving an existing device to a new location may change things.
Go to Top of Page

drbissonnette
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  12:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem almost solved. It did appear to be noise, Xmas led lights plugged into an outlet on the same circuit as the outside front door lights. Unplug them and the control unit sees and operates the front door lights again. But for some reason the scene that controls the front door and front garage lights only operates the front door not the garage. The control unit sees the switch its green but does not turn it on or off. May be other lights. I'm going to unplug all Xmas lights and try again. Thanks to all for the help on this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page