Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Countdown Timer solution
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shadysprings
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2018 :  3:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since 2484DWH8 was discontinued, can anyone think of a solution for this. I have 5 locations around the house that I need to have a button that is connected to a single OutletLinc. (All 5 buttons to the same OutletLinc) When button is pressed, it turns on OutletLinc for a programmed amount of time. 5,10, 30 mins, etc.

I use 2484DWH8's now but they are discontinued and can't find an alternative.

Thanks.

BLH
Advanced Member

5983 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2018 :  3:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are they manually linked to each other with the Set Button sequence or do you have a controller like an ISY994i?
Go to Top of Page

shadysprings
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2018 :  4:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

Are they manually linked to each other with the Set Button sequence or do you have a controller like an ISY994i?

Currently all lined to OutletLinc. But I need more KeypadLinc's and can't get them anymore. Can the new ones be programmed to be countdown timer? I'd like to add an ISY in to bridge to WIFI. Is that what is does?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2018 :  6:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ISY does far more than provide access to your network. It can create scenes. It can create conditional events. It can communicate with insteon and z-wave and hue lights and lots of other stuff.

If you had an ISY, you could duplicate the countdown timer capability using a standard keypad.
Go to Top of Page

shadysprings
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2018 :  9:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

The ISY does far more than provide access to your network. It can create scenes. It can create conditional events. It can communicate with insteon and z-wave and hue lights and lots of other stuff.

If you had an ISY, you could duplicate the countdown timer capability using a standard keypad.

ok now you got me wide awake.
1> I called Smarthome support this morning and was told that the new keypads aren't countdown timers. Are you saying that a ISY994i can be programmed to make a keypad button become a countdown timer? Does it operate on same bands as Insteon? And is this better than Insteon Hub Central Controller? I don't need Z-Wave that I know of.
2> Will both of these operate my existing Insteon KeypadLinc and OutletLinc's?
3> If I install water leak sensors under every sink and toilet, what's better - Z-Wave or Insteon sensors?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  03:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me, it is not even close. Having the ISY-994 I am not even interested in a hub.

Yes, one could create programs in the ISY-994 to trigger a countdown timer from each keypad button. It does not physically change the keypad...the countdowns and resulting action would be programmed within the ISY-994. The ISY communicates to insteon devices via insteon PLM, using same frequencies and communication protocol.

I believe the ISY-994 is compatible with practically every insteon device, now and past.

I have yet to use water sensors of any kind. I cannot comment on whether one is better than the other.

In fairness, the change from your hub to an ISY-994 is not trivial. You would have to remove the devices from the hub and/or factory reset each insteon device, adding them to the ISY-994. All scenes and links would have to be recreated. There is a learning curve for the ISY that you may not have experienced with the hub. Your insteon app will no longer work, but others are available. Integration with echo and google is available, but at additional annual cost. Harmony integration? If you decide to take this step, be prepared to spend some time and brain cells. Having said that, you would be rewarded with whole-new levels of automation and ability to bring other gadgets into the home automation fold.

Check out ISY forum:

https://forum.universal-devices.com/

Go to Top of Page

shadysprings
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  09:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

For me, it is not even close. Having the ISY-994 I am not even interested in a hub.

Yes, one could create programs in the ISY-994 to trigger a countdown timer from each keypad button. It does not physically change the keypad...the countdowns and resulting action would be programmed within the ISY-994. The ISY communicates to insteon devices via insteon PLM, using same frequencies and communication protocol.

I believe the ISY-994 is compatible with practically every insteon device, now and past.

I have yet to use water sensors of any kind. I cannot comment on whether one is better than the other.

In fairness, the change from your hub to an ISY-994 is not trivial. You would have to remove the devices from the hub and/or factory reset each insteon device, adding them to the ISY-994. All scenes and links would have to be recreated. There is a learning curve for the ISY that you may not have experienced with the hub. Your insteon app will no longer work, but others are available. Integration with echo and google is available, but at additional annual cost. Harmony integration? If you decide to take this step, be prepared to spend some time and brain cells. Having said that, you would be rewarded with whole-new levels of automation and ability to bring other gadgets into the home automation fold.

Check out ISY forum:

https://forum.universal-devices.com/

Thanks for your help. I don't have a hub today. Just KeypadLinc's straight to OutletLinc's.
One final question before I go dig in, is the Insteon hub able to be programmed as countdown timer? Or is the ISY-994 required for a function like this?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  09:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't use the hub, but my understanding is that this would be beyond its capability.
Go to Top of Page

sutphinwb

44 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  04:27:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one of these hooked to a bathroom heater. It won't link with anything anymore. Seems silly to remove a device from the inventory once its programmed in but that is the essence of Smart Home.
Go to Top of Page

shadysprings
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  12:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's too bad the countdown timer was stopped. Insteon does not have anyway of reproducing this simple function. It's too bad.
Go to Top of Page

sutphinwb

44 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2019 :  05:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Home Control Assistant (a PC based app with Android and IOS apps) can be programmed to do the same thing. If you don't have a PC on the network that runs all the time, you can use something like an Intel computer stick hooked to your TV. You also need a USB interface like the ISY, but HCA can automagically map your network. I would have switched to ISY except for the above migration issue. I've devices 30ft up the side of the building. As long as you have the address, HCA can manage the device.

I have a timer on a heater also. I don't link to it anymore. Can't even find the manual. Stupid.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

290 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  09:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Devices can be added to the isy via it's address as well. It can also add other linked devices if one chooses to do so.

The reason people recommend factory resetting devices is due to bringing in old links that they may not be aware of. These old links can build up, causing network slowdowns and errors as devices try to communicate with things that are no longer there.

While insteon no longer has the manual for a device that hasn't been made in 7 years (not many cookies keep stuff that old either), cached manuals can easily be found by simply googling the item number

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 05/14/2019 10:04:50 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page