Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Motion Sensor II 2844-222 Documentation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mpopps
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  10:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This motion sensor has a single jumper - what does it do?

I am setting up the device with ISY software, and find your product documentation basically useless.

How about some technical documentation on the nodes and their settings, rather than trivial pictures of a simplistic phone interface do not begin to address the capabilities of the device.

SeanM
Administrator

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  1:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The jumper decreases the sensitivity of the motion sensor detection. Since its PIR temperature is going to play a factor here. The hotter is the less it will pick up at longer distances.

With out the jumper installed you are looking at a ~40ft detection range.

With the jumper on both pins you will get a ~26ft detection range.
Go to Top of Page

mpopps
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  2:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you!

I have an ISY and it has several nodes where I can (perhaps) change the 2844-222 settings. One is motion sensitivity, with a range from 0 to 255. The default setting was 7. I raised it to 100 to reduce motion sensitivity, but it didn't change much. Installing the jumper got me much closer to a workable sensitivity, although squirrels are still triggering motion. If I set motion sensitivity to a higher number, am I right to expect less sensitivity? (Note, this is not, as far as I can tell, light sensitivity. It is motion sensitivity, which I believe is different. - But then, I don't have any documentation...)

Edited by - mpopps on 12/19/2018 2:34:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3842 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  6:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
But then, I don't have any documentation

I am with you on this. I like documentation. I don't care that it is not paper or not provided in the box with the item, but I would definitely like the details spelled out.

But, smarthome has A LOT of company these days. I guess the working assumption with so many companies is that their devices are so intuitive, documentation is no longer needed.

I suppose there is some value in curiosity and thought. These can fill in a lot of holes, but it leave a lot of folks feeling a little left behind.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5911 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  03:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you asked in the UDI Forums?

They indicated that Smartlabs had given them information but some of the data was not what the Sensor was doing.

When the now discontinued Developers Group was around {there could be a new group I am not a member of}. We did get information but also had an NDA to not pass the information on to others.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page