Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 All Off Scene
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smartyhome

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  4:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an “All Off” scene that shuts off every light in the house, as well as several relay on/off switches and an I/O Linc. I programmed it using HouseLinc and a 2413S PLM modem. I set all the relay on/off switches to Off as part of the scene, but the scenes and the I/O Linc are toggling each time the button is pressed that controls the scene. I want the devices to always turn off, never toggle or turn on. Any thoughts on what I have done wrong?

Thanks!

Edited by - smartyhome on 12/22/2018 4:16:58 PM

oberkc

USA
3871 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  6:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the button a keypad button? If so, you could configure the keypad button to send only OFF commands.

I don't use houselinc, so I cannot speculate on what may have gone wrong on that front.
Go to Top of Page

smartyhome

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  7:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s both actually. I need to be able to send only off commands from both a KPL and the 2413s PLM.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3871 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  05:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. The keypad button can definitely be so configurd. I am surprised that the PLM (houselinc) cannot send specific commands.
Go to Top of Page

smartyhome

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  05:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That’s what’s weird. I have chosen it to send an off command for each device, but for some reason, the io Linc and the relay switches are toggling each time the scene is “turned off” (or triggered a second time). I would think if the KPL can be configure to send off only commands, the PLM could as well. Related, I read on here that some keypads cannot be configured to have the keypad button light go out upon triggering the alll off scene. I’ll concede the button lighting if I can just get the devices to respond correctly. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3871 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  06:56:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Upon further reflection, I will offer additionalthoughts. First, I also recall that the backlight of a keypad canno be configured to turn off in respnse to a scene command to turn ON. Yes, this could very well be true. Still, if you are always sending a scene-off command, this should not matter.

The other thing...the IOLinc can be a little strange sometimes. It has several configuration settings, along with a relay AND sensor node. Conceivably, the settings of the IOLinc could be such that it responds only to OFF (or ON, or EITHER) scene commands and be in a mode (latching, 8 think it is called) that the relay would toggle between OPEN and CLOSED.

Perhaps one of these issues is coming into play here?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3871 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  06:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot think of any reason that a relay switch would turn ON when responding to a scene-off command.
Go to Top of Page

smartyhome

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  07:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let’s set aside the io linc for now. I suspect if I set the keypad button to only send off commands, that will fix the button issue. I think what is happening with the switches, is that every time the scene is triggered, it is toggling the state of the scene - on or off - so when the scene is “turned on” it is telling the SwitchLincs to turn off, but then when the scene is triggered again, it is “turning off” so it is telling the SwitchLincs to change state and turn on. In HouseLinc, the SwitchLincs are clearly configured to turn off when the scene is activated.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3871 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  08:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am unaware of any way that sending a “scene off” command would result in a switch turning on. This does not match anything in my experience. You are confident that you are toggling the “scene”?

Perhaps there s something specific to houselinc?
Go to Top of Page

smartyhome

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  09:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you say “toggling the scene,” what do you mean?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3871 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  10:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smartyhome

When you say “toggling the scene,” what do you mean?

I am just quoting your words. The question was more in emphasis of scene rather as opposed to controlling a specific device
Go to Top of Page

smartyhome

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  11:41:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am definitely toggling the scene and not a specific device.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page