Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 water shut off valve for dishwasher, question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jltrams

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2018 :  09:36:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I'm about to install the water shut-off-valve on a dishwasher. I have all the parts and am ready. My question is this: a dishwasher has 2 lines for water: the supply line and the drain line; I'm connecting the Smarthome shut-off-valve to the supply line, so, in case of a leak water will be cut off. No problem there if the supply valve works as expected. The drain line has another valve that works when connected to the power line. That means that, unless I cut the power to that drain valve, and this valve fails, I will get a flood from the drain valve, not form the supply line.
My question is, how do I cut remotely, through a sensor or something else, the power to the drain valve when I'm away traveling or in the office?
Thank you for reading, and sorry for this long post.

jlas

sutphinwb

44 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  04:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sounds odd in that I've never heard of a drain with a valve on it. who knows with modern appliances these days. might be there to prevent sewer gas backup like a "J" valve. The dishwasher obviously has it's own on / off value and if the power fails, the dishwasher won't be demanding water. your shutoff will only protect the system between the main supply and the dishwasher on / off which is basically the connection to the dishwasher. I think if this connection goes, you're going to have to shut off the house to get it repaired. I don't know if I'd trust and insteon device to keep the water off while I fix the dishwasher.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page