Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 electronic water valve requirements
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jzh
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  7:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

My home had already installed Insteon Hub. I expect to install electronic water valve in order to automatically cut off water when leakage happens. I'd like to know if the following devices can meet my new requirement:

- electronic water valve * 1
- Insteon water leak sensors
- Insteon Remote Control Plug-in Low Voltage Controller
- DC power

And can someone help explain the meaning of 'Can be used with an Insteon Hub however the included IOLinc module communicates via powerline only, so you may need a Range Extender or other dual-band Insteon devices*'?

Thanks
JZ

oberkc

USA
3871 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  8:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Can be used with an Insteon Hub however the included IOLinc module communicates via powerline only, so you may need a Range Extender or other dual-band Insteon devices*'?

Insteon devices originally communicated with each other via signals over the powerlines. Newer ones communicate via powerlines AND radio waves. In some cases, communication only by powerlines can be less reliable than communication via powerline and RF. In order to compensate, there are "range extenders" that can listen for insteon powerline signals and resend them over the radio waves. This can make communication between insteon devices more reliable. Alternatively, those current insteon devices that are "dual band" (powerline and radio) would also retransmit powerline signals over the radio waves.
Go to Top of Page

jzh
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  06:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi oberkc

thanks for your information!

another question for your help: can i replace my home's traditional main valve with Smarthome Select Electronic Water Shutoff Valve? Is it as reliable as traditional ones?

thanks!
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3871 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  09:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never used one and know only what I read on the web page. Havin said that, I don’t think I would eplace my main shutoff valve with it. Instead, I would install it just downstream from the main shutoff valve.
Go to Top of Page

rajung

20 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  12:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

another question for your help: can i replace my home's traditional main valve with Smarthome Select Electronic Water Shutoff Valve? Is it as reliable as traditional ones?

thanks!
[/quote]

I would not, other than the original maybe getting stuck , which is slim chance, another reason would be you would have a back up valve in case the electronic one fails for some reason or never gets a signal to close.If the water line comes out the meter and up along a wall I would install where it leaves the wall area at the first easiest spot, few extra feet away from main one would be no big deal.
Go to Top of Page

jzh
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  6:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi oberkc and rajung,

understood and thank you two

James
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly