Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 No status lights after installing secondary SW dim
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eyost
Average Member

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  3:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

A few days ago I noticed that our second switch in a three way died so I figured I would replace both of them with new SW dimmers. I first installed the secondary switch to the box where the wire testing hot is coming into. I connected the black from the dimmer to the two black lines (one that tested hot and the one traveler). I then connected neutral and the ground. Flipped the breaker on and I don't get any status lights on the dimmer. This is happening to three new dimmers. Shouldn't I get status lights when installing the secondary switch in this manner?

Thanks for any help on this.

Ed

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  3:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure what you mean by “secondary” switch.

Yes, once installed and power applied, you should see the indicator glowing. Did you toggle the switch?

All insteon switches require hot and neutral to operate. You may also connect a load. How did you identify hot and neutral?
Go to Top of Page

eyost
Average Member

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  3:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

I am not sure what you mean by “secondary” switch.

Yes, once installed and power applied, you should see the indicator glowing. Did you toggle the switch?

All insteon switches require hot and neutral to operate. You may also connect a load. How did you identify hot and neutral?

I am using the term secondary switch based upon Insteon indicating that the secondary is the one connected to where the hot line is coming in. I tested the line to be hot by using the pencil type devices that make a sound and light up when it gets close to the hot line. Neutral is the white lines bundled upon in the back of the box. I did toggle the switch but nothing. Normally I would say at least one LED glow.

There is some weird stuff going on with this room but I would assume that connecting a switch in this manner would at least have the LED lights active.

Ed
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  4:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those “non-contact voltage detectors” are not 100% accurate. I like them, but in conjunction with other clues.

What type of switch are you replacing with insteon? Are they a simple mechanical switch?

What other colorred wires are in the bundle that contains the wire you identified as hot? Red? White? Is the white wire connectd to that neutral bundle you described?

For me to be much more help, it may be necessary for you to describe the wires in that box, colors, how they are groupd together, thngs like that.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

290 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  11:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you pull both switches out or just one? A few things I would check is that the wires aren't loose in the wire nuts.

If they are tight, then you may have wired your switches wrong. You'll want to make sure you hooked up the right neutrals as both boxes may have neutrals.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 12/30/2018 11:43:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  11:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
then you may have wired your switches wrong

I, too, think that you need to consider this possibility. At this point, you either have a bad switch or it is wired wrong. One way to check the switch is to wire it to an extension cord. (Cut the end off, strip the wire ends, and connect the hot and neutral to the switch.) Does the indicator light come on? (If so, I would suspect the original wiring in the switch box.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page