Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Smart Home, getting started?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GMC
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  8:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I just got an Alexa/Echo dot recently, and decided it would be perfect to assist my mother who just had hip surgery if I could integrate it into a smart home. When looking around online I found alot of different options, opinions and ideas so I decided to come here for help.

I'd like to be able to setup all her lights and other small items such as her front door to be automatically controlled with voice commands. As an example "Alexa, turn on the Kitchen lights"..."Alexa, turn of the main level lights"..."Alexa, change the temperature to 72°F". We don't need multicolor RGB rainbow bulbs so I've been looking at smart switches instead to just replace the current light switch/thermostat.

I've seen products like Wemo out there that say they work with Alexa, but the issue is these products have 'Skills' that integrate unnecessary branding into the command phrases. E.g. "Alexa, tell wemo smart switch to turn on the kitchen lights". I fear she would forget, or get confused by the extra phrasing so it needs to be as simple as "Alexa, turn on the kitchen lights".

If anyone would be interested in helping, please feel free to get in contact!

P.S. sorry if this is posted in the wrong topic, there wasn't really a "General" topic to ask this question in, and since most of it seems to be light focused I thought it was close enough

Edited by - GMC on 12/30/2018 9:18:28 PM

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  03:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a very casual user of the echo devices. I have a couple, but have yet to find them all that beneficial.

I also share your concerns about the skills and having to learn specific phrases to do what you want.

Have you tried Alexa "groups"? My bet is that you could create a group call "lights" or "kitchen" or "kitchen lights" and that this would allow the use of phrases such as "alexa...turn on the [group name]".

Interestingly to me, the phillips hue lights don't require any of that special phrases. Unfortunately, they don't have a switch as far as I can tell.
Go to Top of Page

Alexbryan
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  03:17:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, there I think i can resolve your problem. Few days ago i got an article on home automation. Where I found that how alexa and all other device are different from this product. I would like to share this article with you . Do have a look. And let me know does it helped.

https://b1hub.com.au/blog/5-things-google-home-and-amazon-alexa-cannot-do-on-their-own/
https://b1hub.com.au/b-one-eazy

Edited by - Alexbryan on 02/18/2019 03:31:15 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page