Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Keypad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dansarrosick

25 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  07:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 6 button keypad. The buttons I have programmed to turn on/off a single light work fine. I cant seem to get the programming correct for the button that I would like to control multiple lights.

I am ok with the simplest solution. I just want one button press to turn them all off if they are on or one button press to turn them all on.

What is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks - Dan.

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  08:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you using a hub, or something like that, or are you doing this all manually?

In general, if you make the button for the multiple-light scene controller for each of the lights, this would cause each to come on/off when the button is toggled.
Go to Top of Page

dansarrosick

25 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  09:24:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using the Insteon Hub. Right now I have a dedicated scene for this with the KPL button assigned to "both" and all the other lights all assigned to be responders. The result tends to be out of sync - sometimes the button is lit and thinks the lights are on and they aren't and sometimes its off but the lights are on.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  11:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I cannot be of much assistance with the specific steps via hub. I am not a user of the hub.

Still, it sounds to me as if you have your scene set up properly. Is that switch (the on that is configured "both" in that scene) a responder to any other insteon device. Is that keypad button part of any other scene?

It is certainly possible that what you are experiencing is a communication failure between insteon devices. A couple of basic questions:

- is your hub plugged into a circuit having other electronic gadgets such as a computer, modem, printer, UPS, power supplies, things like that?
- what types of loads (LED, Low Voltage, CFL, incandescent) are on those responder devices?
Go to Top of Page

dansarrosick

25 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2019 :  2:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. The circuit is pretty basic and doesnt have much else connected to it. All the lights are LED and they turn on and off properly/no flicker etc when triggered by the directly wired switch or through the app. The button on the switch is not a part of any other scenes. In my situation, how should it react if say 1 light was on and the other 3 were off? Should it turn the one off or the other three on? I that is where it gets tripped up..
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2019 :  8:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
In my situation, how should it react if say 1 light was on and the other 3 were off? Should it turn the one off or the other three on? I that is where it gets tripped up..

Scene controllers, when pressed, should cause the scene responders to turn on/off. Based on your description of the simple scene, pressing the keypad button should cause it, and all the responders in that scene to turn on or off. If one of the individual responders was turned on manually, and you subsequently toggled ON the KPL button, then the other responders should come on, and the responder that was already on should stay on (or at least go to the pre-defined ON level for that scene).

If some of the responders fail to respond, I can see a couple of possibilities:

- communication problems
- responders are configured to have ON levels too low, possibly zero
- links records in some of the devices have been corrupted

If the responders consistently fail to respond, I would be looking at the last two possibilities. If the responders SOMETIMES respond, but not other times, I would be focusing on the first possibility.

Go to Top of Page

dansarrosick

25 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2019 :  07:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I figured out the issue but still am not sure how to solve it. The KPL button works fine by itself. It turns all lights on or all off. It just doesnt know when one (or all) of the lights are turned on but the actual light switch (as opposed to the KPL button). So how do I ensure that the KPL button knows the status of the switches so it knows whether to turn them on or off?
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2019 :  1:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The KPL button works fine by itself. It turns all lights on or all off.

Well, this is all I would expect for the scene that you described. The only device in the scene that is a controller is the keypad, right?

quote:
It just doesnt know when one (or all) of the lights are turned on but the actual light switch (as opposed to the KPL button).

In order for the keypad button to turn on in response to one of the other switches are on, you must make the other switch a controller of the keypad button.

So...if I understand correctly, you want the keypad button to come on if at least one of the switches is on. Is this correct? But you don't want the other switches to turn on when manually controlling any of those switches. Correct?

You may be starting to run into the limits of the hub abilities. The ISY-994 has a robust ability to respond to almost any logical combination of events, but I am not quite ready to give up.

I think you may be able to do this by creating a few more scenes. For each of the switches you control with your keypad (there are three?) create a scene with that switch as controller and the keypad button as responder. If you have three switches, that would be three scenes.

I don't use the hub, but I understand it has the ability to define a given device only as a controller within a scene. If this is true, you might even be able to accomplish your goals with only a single additional scene rather than three. In that scene, put all three switches as controller only (not "both"). Then add the keypad button as responder.

Edited by - oberkc on 01/04/2019 1:01:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

JeffHallberg
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  09:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine stay in sync - but in each scene, I define the one button that controls the scene as "both" and all other buttons related to lights affected by the scene as "responders" - then I set the status of each button as it should be related to that scene (some on, some off, depending on what the scene does to the lights it controls)
Go to Top of Page

Gunn

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  06:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dansarrosick

I think I figured out the issue but still am not sure how to solve it. The KPL button works fine by itself. It turns all lights on or all off. It just doesnt know when one (or all) of the lights are turned on but the actual light switch (as opposed to the KPL button). So how do I ensure that the KPL button knows the status of the switches so it knows whether to turn them on or off?

I think this can be worked out pretty easily. You need to make sure all other switches/modules in the scene are set as controllers of the KeypadLinc button (A/B/C/D) that you desire.

That way, for example, if you turn on your living room switch scene, it will tell Keypad C to turn on. Keypad C would be a responder to the living room switch. Etc. for your other buttons.

At least I think that's what you want...this can all be done with the app.
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fillat
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  08:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot define a key as Always Off. That was removed from the local programming, and the option is not in the Insteon iOS app. The windows app must have a bug, because it refuses to find my hub even though it is on the same network and the PC is hardwired and has WiFi on. Is there any solution that doesn't involve spending $80 for an interface which I would only need for this purpose?

AIF
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10716 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  09:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can define how most devices respond to On using the app. Rather than program the button to always send an off signal, you could create the scene so that responder devices all turn off whenever they hear either the on or off command from that button press.

You can also leave the button in toggle mode and add it as a responder to any other controllers that turn any of the lights on. If the button is currently on, when you tap the button its next transmission will be off.
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fillat
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  1:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cumbersome, but it works. Thanks.

AIF
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly