Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Lamp Dimmer Module affects digital clock?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dhstraayer
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  11:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit dhstraayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anybody seen this sort of behavior?
I recently installed a lamp dimmer module to control a little LED "light up a glass paperweight" base. Before that, the base was plugged into the end of an extension cord, and a LED digital clock was also plugged into the same cord. All worked fine until I put the dimmer module. Now, I can control the base just fine, but all of a sudden, the LED clock is advancing forward, running fast in spurts. Perhaps the Insteon signals from the controller are putting spikes on the line that the phase counter in the clock is misinterpreting.
Anybody seen this? Any recommendations? I have some old Insteon and x10 filter modules sitting around not being used, maybe one might help??

David Straayer

jackman
Average Member

193 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  11:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not had anything like that happen with my Insteon system. I would concur with your suspicions. The clock may be using the power line frequency as it's timing source. You might try relocating the clock to another outlet or location to see it that fixes it.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5983 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  3:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the Clock also on the dimmer modules controlled outlet? That could be a problem.

Dimmer modules are made for incandescent loads. Although many LED modules will work if rated to be on a dimmer [not all are]. Is the LED base rated to be dimmed or too low a load for the dimmer to work correctly? If not rated to be dimmed or is too low a load. That could also be an issue

Edited by - BLH on 01/03/2019 3:17:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

dhstraayer
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  8:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit dhstraayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The clock is not on the dimmer module. The "base" is LED, and not really appropriate for a dimmer module, to be sure. But I only switch it ON and OFF. The base is plugged in to the dimmer module, and both the dimmer module and LED clock are plugged into the same extension cord. I'm going to try using another extension cord to take the clock to another outlet. Maybe the distance can attenuate the high frequency noise enough.
I'll report after the test.

David Straayer
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

290 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2019 :  12:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI- a non dimmable device on a dimmer can damage both or lead to a shortened life span.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5983 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2019 :  03:10:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even at 100% On. The AC waveform is distorted and the dimmers electronics may not play nice.
As pointed out. Loads not designed for a dimmer. Can cause damage to the dimmer or load.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page