Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Fireplace control without line voltage?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hollowbleet
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2019 :  9:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking into controlling our gas fireplace with Insteon/Z-Wave, but from what I'm reading, it's not going to be possible as is.

Our fireplace is original to the house. 1940 brick wood-burning, retrofitted with vented gas logs. They're run by a millivolt gas valve and battery-powered Skytech RF remote. The receiver and battery pack sit in the fireplace. It's completely isolated. No line voltage, no wall switch.

I've been looking around and I can't seem to find a solution for this type of setup. Hell, I can't even find any posts by people with similar setups. It seems everyone has wall switches.

We do have outlets on either side of the fireplace, about 3 feet away. But I've got no interest in running wires out of the fireplace to an I/O Link. If that's the only way to do it, then we'll just keep using the Skytech remote. But it seems crazy that there might not be a battery-powered module for interfacing with the millivolt valve. Maybe I'm just not searching for the right thing.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  03:36:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not recall seeing good answers to questions like this. I don't believe that there is a battery-powered IOlinc type device with insteon, nor do I recall one for zwave. I surely do not see one as a result of any web search I tried.

Neither do I recall seeing a generic RF device capable or "learning" (being able to duplicate) radio signals.

Go to Top of Page

hollowbleet
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  07:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

I do not recall seeing good answers to questions like this. I don't believe that there is a battery-powered IOlinc type device with insteon, nor do I recall one for zwave. I surely do not see one as a result of any web search I tried.

Neither do I recall seeing a generic RF device capable or "learning" (being able to duplicate) radio signals.

Thanks for the reply. At least I feel confident that I wasn't chasing down the wrong leads. Yeah, I'm guessing it's just not a thing. I thought my setup was the rule, but I'm wondering if it's the exception. Still a bit crazy this doesn't exist yet.

Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  08:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Still a bit crazy this doesn't exist yet.

No, it does not appear to me that such devices exist. I can only assume that it is not practical from a battery life standpoint. To continuously power a z-wave or insteon receiver may just consume too much power.

Perhaps, with a little research, it may be possible to identify the protocol used by the remote. If so, with some luck, it might be generic enough that this could be addressed on the remote side, rather than by replacement of the valve.
Go to Top of Page

hollowbleet
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2019 :  5:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]

Perhaps, with a little research, it may be possible to identify the protocol used by the remote. If so, with some luck, it might be generic enough that this could be addressed on the remote side, rather than by replacement of the valve.

Actually, after reading some more, it looks like there's a pretty strong argument for not even automating fireplaces anyway. There's the risk of phantom events, etc. which I suppose is a good reason for just leaving it alone. We only use the fireplace a few months out of the year, so not a big deal.

Thanks for the help. Cheers.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page