Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 SmartLife compatible switch and timers (delays)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SylvainG
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  8:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, just found out this forum, hopefully this is the right place to post this.

I have a WiFi smart switch enrolled into SmartLife and would like the switch (light) to cut its power when it's been on for let's say 30 minutes. So what I did is create a "Smart" (in SmartLife) where when that specific light is turned on, it starts an 'action' called delay for 30 minutes then another action that turns off that specific switch (ie, light). This works well when the light is turned on and left on. After 30 minutes, it will turn off as intended. But trouble arises when the light is manually turned off within that 30 minutes counter. The counter seems to keep counting and if the light is turned back on with let's say 5 minutes left in the counter, the light will turn off after those 5 minutes instead of a new 30 minutes like I would like.

Anybody knows of to circumvent that?

Thanks!

SylvainG
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2019 :  4:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a very busy forum this one is... Anyway, if anyone is looking for an answer, got it to work using IFTTT and Stringify. Stringify is missing the SmartLife integration so that's why IFTTT, which has SmartLife integration comes in...

https://forums.stringify.com/t/timer-to-turn-off-a-light-after-a-certain-time-on/5853/4?u=gagnon.sylvain
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10686 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2019 :  5:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The majority of the traffic in this forum is about Insteon controls. Insteon devices create their own peer-to-peer, dual-band network that scales well into hundreds of nodes, far beyond what ordinary home WiFi gear can handle.
Go to Top of Page

SylvainG
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2019 :  7:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, sounds interesting. Although I've done almost my whole house and I'm far from 'hundreds of nodes' (2 dimmers, 11 one way switches, 2 three ways switch, 7 plugs as well as 8 Hue lights). Insteon seems to be at least double the cost per device than what I paid and requires a hub (extra cost) but then, it doesn't rely on a cloud service that could decide to shutdown it services (Nest (Revolv) comes to mind here) leaving you with lobotomized smart switches. Mind you, those cheap smart switch uses some variant of the ESP8266 so with patience and dedication, one could bring them back to life.

Edited by - SylvainG on 01/09/2019 7:46:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3843 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  09:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SylvainG

Not a very busy forum this one is... Anyway, if anyone is looking for an answer, got it to work using IFTTT and Stringify. Stringify is missing the SmartLife integration so that's why IFTTT, which has SmartLife integration comes in...

https://forums.stringify.com/t/timer-to-turn-off-a-light-after-a-certain-time-on/5853/4?u=gagnon.sylvain

I agree with tfitzpatri8. Most traffic here is related to insteon. I dont see as much regarding other types. I, too, would avoid a smart home that relies on the cloud. I want my ability to set up, along with the logical brains, to work without internet connection. I do not want thousands of dollars invested to become useless should some company decide it is no longer interested in home automation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2018 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page