Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Controlling garage lights
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Armymutt
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  11:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to control my garage lights using an variety of Insteon products: garage door controller and sensor, two hidden door sensors - one on the external door and one going into the house, and micro module connected at the light switch. My goal is for the light to come on for 5 minutes when the garage door is opened, or when the light switch is turned on until it is turned off, or when either door is opened for a period of about 30 seconds. I think I'm having conflicting inputs to the switch. When I open the door to the house, the lights come on. When I open the garage door, they come on, but then shut off in less than 5 minutes, but usually longer than 30 seconds. The exterior door is basically an on/off switch at this point. I have all of these set up in Stringify. Am I beyond the capabilities of the basic stuff at this point?

oberkc

USA
3871 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  1:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't use Stringify, but I would guess that this is beyond the ability. Hopefully someone can confirm.

I use the ISY-994 controller. This would be doable with this.
Go to Top of Page

Armymutt
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  5:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's kind of what I was figuring. Just not wanting to spend the money. Can I start with just the basic one and add to it later on? I know I'll need the serial PLM to connect to the Echos. Wish the USB one I have would work with it. My systems are Insteon, Hue, and Amazon.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3871 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  7:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, one can start with basic version of the ISY-994. Zwave can be added later. I believe it can be updated to the pro model, should that be necessary. I understand that it can speak to Hue via several methods. I use a network resource (a software add-on to the basic model). Echos can speak to the the ISY, but this requires a subscription service.

You need the serial PLM to connect to insteon devices. It serves no purpose with an Echo or Hue.

I would not take this decision lightly. This will demand some time and learning.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page