Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Get device address
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swbrains
Average Member

111 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  09:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a RemoteLinc that has a worn address label on the back so it can no longer be read. Is there some other way to identify it's Insteon address?

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10737 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  10:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only time you need to know the device address is when you use it with an ISY or other software. That software ordinarily shows the address in some sort of log file when you link (or relink) it to the PLM used with that software.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6018 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  3:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you using a Insteon controller or manual Set Button Linking?
If you have an ISY994i or ISY99i you should be able to. Can't say about a HUB. Some other software may also be able to get it for you.
Go to Top of Page

swbrains
Average Member

111 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  4:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an ISY994i controller. The remotelinc is not currently in the ISY/PLM database, and I thought I needed an address to add it.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3963 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  5:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What software version are you on? My ISY had the native ability to add the remotelincs. Options:

-update your software
-try adding it as a v1 remotelinc (loses some of the available options, I understand, but it can at least be controlled).

No, I did not need an address to add mine.

Also, if not obvious, adding the remotelincs is not done via the "start linking" button. Choose the "link management" >>> "add a remotelinc 2" menu items.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6018 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  03:27:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is an old original Remote Linc. It has a separate choice in the lank management tab from a Remote Linc 2.

I found my original Remote Linc would not add if close to the PLM.
I had to start the process and then go to the far end of the house. So the linking did not go though the PLMs RF receiver but through an RF receiver in a different Dual Band device.

If you are trying to add it close to the PLM. Maybe trying a different location so the PLM is not doing the RF processing may help.
Go to Top of Page

swbrains
Average Member

111 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  07:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. My ISY is using firmware 4.7.3. The remotelinc is model 2342-2. I can't remember ever adding a device without entering its address, so I just figured it was necessary. I didn't know it would detect it if not in the database yet.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3963 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  12:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I can't remember ever adding a device without entering its address, so I just figured it was necessary.

I have NEVER entered an address to add a device.
quote:

I didn't know it would detect it if not in the database yet.

I think it IS in the database. It is certainly in my ISY software, and I think it has been there for a while. 2342-222 and 2342-232 are there.
Go to Top of Page

swbrains
Average Member

111 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  1:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I was referring to a particular newly purchased device address not being in *my* ISY/PLM device list yet. That is, if I had just bought a dimmer switch and wanted to add it to the ISY, I didn't realize it could detect the new device and determine its address if it had never been installed in my system yet. I was under the impression I had to know the address to add it.

Thanks for the update -- it's certainly easier to not have to enter the address each time. :)
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3963 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  5:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was referring to a particular newly purchased device address not being in *my* ISY/PLM device list yet.

Ah. I misunderstood. Glad you got it working.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6018 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  03:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2342-222 is in the ISY994i manual device list and the Link Management Link a RemoteLinc2.
What firmware are you using. 4.7.3 has it for sure. I can't remember exactly when it was added but I believe it was over a year ago.
Go to Top of Page

rrddc
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  11:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same issue as swbrains. The mini remote 2342-2 label with the ID address on it rubbed off. Now having trouble linking with ISY994i and Insteon hub. Need the address. Isy does not recognize it without putting the id in. There is a separate procedure in ISY program for linking mini remotes. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

rrddc
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6018 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  4:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add a new module to your ISY994i. Then manually link the remote to that module. Do the show device link table test on the module and use the compare feature. The six digit ID of the remote will be reported as a mismatch. Or you could manually link the remote to a module in your system and then do the compare test. Then remove the new module if you added one or manually unlink the remote you added to an existing module.

Edited by - BLH on 04/20/2019 5:02:32 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page