Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 LED Flicker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

flsr
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  12:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 4 Nuvo 62-872 LED wall sconce lights controlled by an Insteon 2477D Rev 8.2. At light levels above 25% the lights flicker. Under 25% the flicker virtually disappears.

Any ideas on how I can eliminate the flicker? Ideally I would like to operate the lights at 30% level.

The manufacture lists dimmers that are compatible. Unfortunately, Insteon is not on the list.

Here is a link to the light;
http://www.nuvo[ restricted ]/62-13179.html

I am willing to change bulbs, add filters or almost anything reasonable to to fix the problem.

flsr

flsr
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  12:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The above manufacture link is

www.nuvo[ restricted ]/62-13179.html

flsr
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3894 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  2:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am willing to change bulbs

That fixture does not appear to have replaceable bulbs, unfortunately.

Also unfortunately (and inexplicably), the insteon dimmer remains "certified" only for incandescent loads. Use with other types of loads is trial-and-error.

I have heard insteon dimmers described as "leading edge" which, I assume, is is in reference to where the AC waveform is truncated. The only thing I can think to do without knowing the specifics of your load type is to contact the manufacturer and find out what type of dimmer is needed and do your best to match it up with something compatible and automatable. Unfortunately, it does not seem that this will be an insteon dimmer.

Of course, I expect an insteon relay switch to work just fine.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5948 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  07:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also don't think the bulbs are replaceable.

The sales page says it has an LED cartridge, maybe a custom assembly, with a connector. Probably does not have a standard E26 base.

Adding a standard incandescent bulb to the mix may calm it down but would also mess up your setup.
Go to Top of Page

flsr
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  1:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The switch is hidden inside a closet so I was wondering if this would work as a solution;

Insteon on/off switch - Mfg approved LED dimmer - LED light

Would this resolve the flicker issue (assuming that the dimmer works properly)?

flsr
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3894 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  5:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know whether it would, but I suspect it is easy enough to find out. What if you temporarily hard-wire the light and see if it flickers with insteon traffic? If not, I suspect that would be a pretty positive indication that it would not flicker with a relay/approved-dimmer combination.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5948 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  05:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a test with a 2876S On/Off switch, Lutron Dimmer {not specified for LED loads} and a few older model dimmable LED bulbs known to work with the dimmer. Turning On and Off the 2876S did control the LED level set on the Lutron.

So it may work.

The ones Nuvo tested have a lowest dim level setting. For use with dimmable LED bulbs. As some LED bulbs have a minimum dim level they will power up.
Go to Top of Page

Gunn

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  06:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had issues with Insteon dimmers and LED bulbs too. It just plain silly that newer Insteon dimmers are only rated for incandescent bulbs still...when hardly anyone owns them anymore.

Some of my LED bulbs will flicker when attempting to be dimmed, making dimming unusable.

Other times, when I turn them OFF by the switch (or Lamp module), the LED bulb will stay on, but very dim. Like there is some current trickling past the Insteon switch.

This makes finding bulbs very tricky, and can be very expensive.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5948 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  10:35:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the Insteon Lamp Module or Appliance Module has Local Control Sensing, not the newer Dual Band ones with an On and Off button on the side. There is a small sensing voltage on the output. So if the module was Off and you toggle the lamps switch from On to Off and back On. The module would turn On and yes some LED bulbs will glow on the small sensing voltage.

The two wire Switchlinc for incandescent bulbs. Draws power though the load. They definitely have issues with LED bulbs.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

277 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  11:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should be testing bulbs with dimmers anyway. I've seen dimmers designed for LED bulbs have issues. Unfortunately not all bulbs are created equally.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 01/16/2019 11:37:51 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page