Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Insteon keypad with Alexa
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JeffHallberg
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  08:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an 8 button keypad. The main (top left) button is an "all on" for a group of four lights. The next 3 are for various Insteon scenes with the same for lights and the bottom four are individual control of each light - all works perfectly through Insteon.

What I cannot seem to make work is when I use an Amazon Echo and say, "Alexa, lights on" - I can only get it to light the top left button on the keypad (as well as the appropriate lights). I would also like it to light all four bottom buttons as indicators for each of the four lights that are lit. This also avoids the need to double tap any one of those 4 buttons if I want to turn off an individual light via the switch.

Suggestions for how to light individual buttons via the Amazon Echo "Alexa, lights on" command?

Gunn

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  06:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So is this "Alexa, lights on" phrase an Alexa group, or is it an Insteon scene?

I don't have experience with an Alexa/Amazon group so I can't be of much help there.

But if it is a scene, then when you activate that scene in other non-Alexa ways, do the buttons respond accordingly? If not, then your scene just needs modified to make those buttons responders.

I have an "All Off" Insteon scene connected to a KeypadLinc button. When I activate it, all of my other Keypadlinc buttons do go off, which works the way I want it...and how you want it, I think.
Go to Top of Page

JeffHallberg
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  09:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Alexa, lights on" triggers an Amazon echo defined group of lights - room specific. It allows you to say "lights on" in the bedroom, and only the bedroom lights come on, and "lights on" in the living room will only turn on the living room lights, and so on.

The issue could be solved if the individual buttons on the keypad could be defined as lights in the Amazon echo, or if the buttons on the switch could be changed to on when the specific Insteon module associated with that button was turned on by a method not directly involving the keypad.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10692 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  4:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only the main button and load of a keypad can be controlled directly via Alexa and other software that uses the Insteon Hub and API.

To control secondary buttons, you have to build a scene using the Insteon app. Can you add an Insteon scene to the Alexa group?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page