Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Cable & Structured Wiring
 Keypad Multi-switch without existing switch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

DarkRyusan
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  04:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a somewhat unique situation that I'm looking for advice on. Currently in my Living/Dining room area I have a 3-gang switch section where the left switch controls the dining room, the right switch controls the living room, and the center switch used to control the outside until the house was remodeled with a bonus room. Now the center switch is not connected to anything.

I would like to use this center section to connect a 6 or 8 button keypad to control certain scenes or areas of the house from a central location, but reading up on these it seems the ones I'm looking at intend for the switch to also have a local control. Are these capable of being wired without a local control?

I'm also interested in the same thing upstairs as currently I have another 3-gang and the third controls a downstairs hallway light that doesn't make any sense to me. I'd like to also replace that with a multi-switch to add whole home control on both floors.

Has anyone done anything like this or have any advice on how this could be done?

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10692 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  07:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries, you don’t need to connect anything to the load wire. Just cap it off.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page