Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Insteon Android App Development Abandoned??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gunn

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  05:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased two mini remotes for my kids for Christmas to go along with my 32 other Insteon devices in my home. When I went to the app to add and program these devices, I could not figure it out. I tried adding the device type "Other Insteon Device", but it wouldn't work. It does not seem there is integrated support for this type of device. Let alone Sonos, IR linc, etc.

I contacted Insteon support who mislead me and said the Android app did support them. I then said well, do I use the "Other Insteon Device" and they simply said "Yes". No instructions. So I struggled and...it never worked. When I told them this, they gave up and told me to call support. Been there, not doing that again. Worthless.

I ended up finding a friend with an iPhone who installed the Insteon app and used my account to set it up. I was surprised at the differences in the app.

So I went to the Google Play store and was even more surprised to see the last update was September 19, 2017!!

So does anyone have an inside information on this? Does Insteon even have an Android development team whatsoever? Doubtful, as they would have put something out there to fix the bugs, let alone support more of their official product line.

Is the software abandoned and dead?

What are our alternatives?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page