Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Does Dimmer light switch fit in standard box
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chiliman
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  3:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am ready to replace some of my current mechanical dimmers with Insteon Dimmers.

The boxes were properly wired so that once I am ready I could install these switches (neutral wire, etc.).
I am not at that house right now and I am wondering of the 2577d will fit in what I suspect is a 'standard' box. Most are multi gang with some toggle switches as well. I am particulary concerned with the height.

Once I am back to that house I can measure a box but I thought I might find out here before I make that trip.

oberkc

USA
3963 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  6:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. The bigger issue is how much wire fill you have. If several cables and large wire nuts, it can get tough stuffung all behind the switch.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6018 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  03:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you where using the 2477S On/Off relay style. It has a larger depth and heavier gauge wire. As it has a higher current rating.
Some have indicated it is a tighter fit. The 2477D dimmer should be an easier fit.
Go to Top of Page

chiliman
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  09:58:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. heading to that house now. Will measure box to be sure. It is rather new construction (8 years old), I think they are deep boxes. I am pretty sure I gave the electrician an Insteon switch to use for sizing but I don't recall (and who knows if he even used it).
Go to Top of Page

chiliman
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  6:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got to measure a box and it certainly appears there is sufficient room but tight.

It will now be a few months before I am back to actually orders switches and get them installed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page