Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Is my Access Point 2443 bad?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acima
Average Member

185 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  3:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed some issues things not getting turned on with HL.
I am suspecting my access point 2443. I ma using it near my USB Insteon stick as an entry point.

It used to blink all the time based on network traffic.
Is there a good way to test?
And if bad what woudl be the replacement?

oberkc

USA
3894 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  5:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Replacement would be the “range extender”.

Unsure how to positively test, but my guess is to initiate the phase brige test from the good access point and see if there is a response from the suspect access point.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5948 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  04:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried the built in communications tests between Dual Band modules and other Access Points?

Try a power cycle to see if it is just confused.

Look at the white label on the back. Is it any hardware revision 2.?. They where built on the same 2413 base PLM board. That has a known issue the its power supply and failing anytime after the two year warranty. I had two of my 2443 V2.5 fail. I rebuilt mine with new low ESR capacitors.

Another clue maybe the LED on the side is dimmer than usual.

Range Extender is the present module as pointed out. Some have used a plug in module like the Dual Band ON/Off or Dual Band Lamp module. As the extra features maybe used at a later time. The Range Extender is a Dual Band Lamp module with the dimming parts not installed.

Edited by - BLH on 01/20/2019 05:00:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

acima
Average Member

185 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  09:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did the 4 tap on the access point. I got other devices to respond. An the opposite, I did the 4tap on a plug-in dimmer and got the AP to respond. However, depending on where I plugged it in I got mixed results (all in close proximity. The device is V1.0.

Doing all this testing I noticed that one of my in-line dimmers has an issue. When turned on through X10 button the lights attached to it go on/off forever until I click X10 off twice. The light attached is low voltage kitchen lights. So, in theory it could also be the transformer. I did cycle the circuit breaker. Same behavior afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5948 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  4:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the transformer rated to be on a dimmer?
Many times a dimmer driving a transformer does not work. Some times damaging the dimmer, the transformer or both.
Can you disconnect the transformer while powering the InlineLinc and see if it still pulses?
Go to Top of Page

acima
Average Member

185 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  6:50:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the transformer is dimmer rated. I got 3, installed many years ago.
However, I suspect this is all related to my issue with a 2475D.
I recalled that I had the same type of dimmer (2475D) somewhere else installed. At his 3rd location I can install a dimmer with faceplate.
As a result I confirmed that the 2475 was defect.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page