Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Insteon Hub IOS App with ISY994i
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smfo

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  12:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anything that I can do on the Insteon Hub IOS App that can be seen by the ISY?
Turning a switch ON/OFF, with the app, doesn't trigger the 'Control' function to trigger an ISY program.
I need a way to either run a program or set a State Variable on the ISY with my iPhone.
I don't want to buy an app, that may or may not work, just to do that one thing.
Do I have to build my own app, or just fa'get about it?

oberkc

USA
3856 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  4:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, the hub app works only with the hub. I thought the app was free, no? You have a hub, right?

I would assume that if you change the "status" of a device, the ISY should see it. I would not expect a "control" function to be driven by the hub..."control" is only triggered when the device, itself, is toggled. Is the device added to ISY? Is it also linked to the hub?

Of course, the link records in the ISY will be inaccurate (won't have record of the hub). An ISY backup or restore function could render your links to the hub missing. If your device had the hub links and, then, you added to the ISY, the ISY could erase the hub links.

I suspect you can make this work, but you will not be able to manage all this via the ISY and you will have to pay strict attention to the links in your switch since they would include one for your hub.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

265 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  11:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Control is only when you physically press the button on your switch. Since you're using the app the ISY would not see the trigger. Can you see the status of the revive Change in the ISY when you trigger it with the app? If so, you may be able to use the status instead of control.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 01/21/2019 11:59:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

smfo

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  06:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I can see:
Operating a device via the app DOES NOT change the status in the ISY.
The only way the status can be seen by the ISY, after the app operates the device, is by manually querying the device in the ISY.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3856 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  2:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Operating a device via the app DOES NOT change the status in the ISY.

Really!!?? Too bad. You have the device linked to the hub AND ISY? And changing the status through the hub could result in incorrect status by the ISY?

I thought the ISY would be aware of a linked device status change, no matter how brought about. I guess not.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1

265 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  9:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping it would but understand why I doesn't since the command came from something not connected to the ISY. Since he's controlling it from the hub, all reporting goes to the hub.

Unfortunately you'll need to go through one of the ISY compatible apps. With that said, if you invest your time in programming your Isy to your lifestyle, the need for an app greatly diminishes.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 01/22/2019 9:28:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page