Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Trouble with 2477D
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jjsmd
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  04:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi:

I have been using the insteon product line for a few years now and have been completely satisfied with the performance, but now have runinto a problem and am looking for help

I have installed 15 outdoor step lights on my deck ( the following)
WAC Lighting WL-LED100-C-GH LEDme Horizontal Step And Wall Light 120V 3000K In Graphite

I hooked them up to a standrad 2477D and all seemed OK for about a day or 2. Then the switch stopped turning the lights on or off.The LED indicators on the switch are still lit but it doesn't control anything.

I thought I just got a defective switch so I switched the switch to a new one and after a day or so the exact same thing happened.

Am I using the wrong switch? and if I am which one should I get?

any help or advice would be appreciated.

jackman
Average Member

195 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  08:46:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That LED light may not be compatible with the dimmer. You should use a SwitchLinc 2477S. Hopefully the dimmer or LED light is not blown due to an incompatibility. I'd test the LED lights with an ordinary switch. Then I'd test the 2477D switches with an ordinary incandescent bulb to make sure everything is working.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6018 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  3:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do the LED lights specification indicate they are dimmable?
Using a dimmer on a LED bulb can resort to the LED bulb, Dimmer Switch or both being damaged. Even with a dimmer at 100% On. There is distortion on the AC to the LED bulbs.

Try the suggested tests.

If the LED level LED graph on the 2477D. Follow the dim level but no load is controlled. I would suspect the 2477D maybe damaged.

The 2477S has a heavier current rating and connecting wires. It is slightly thicker with a larger wire gauge. so you may have a tighter fit in the switch box.

Edited by - BLH on 01/25/2019 3:22:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc

USA
3963 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  4:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Do the LED lights specification indicate they are dimmable?

The web page indicates dimmable, but only with specific types of dimmers. I am guessing that insteon dimmers are not the correct type.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6018 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  03:14:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or there where too many on the 2477D.
Hardly ever mentioned but dimmable LED bulbs have a Inrush Current and Repetitive Current when on a dimmer. I have seen a 6 watt dimmable bulbs manufacturer indicate use an 80 watts figure when adding up the total load on a dimmer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page