Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics -
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome | Security and Privacy
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Insteon equivalent wall switch to ZFM-80US/DA065
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

peterlandis

20 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  4:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zwave offers a wall switch (ZFM-80US/DA065 ) that is powered by 110V and acts as a relay for low voltage sources. This works perfectly for controlling a fireplace because they are controlled via low voltage as seen in this video https://youtu.be/tlGb7ITMZHw

Is there an equivalent Insteon low voltage walll switch or combo? The Insteon I/O line is a plug in device so this won’t work as I’m looking for a wall switch to control a low voltage to a fireplace.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10737 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  5:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve built controls using a mechanical decora-style switch connected to a Micro On/Off module connected to the coil of a small 110 VAC relay. I use the relay to switch the low-voltage component.
Go to Top of Page

peterlandis

20 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  6:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So a relay like this https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-Aube-RC840T-120-120v-Relay-w-Built-In-24V-Transformer?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqb7FtfeM4AIVwrXACh3TMAFIEAQYASABEgKxbPD_BwE

Can you list the one you have and how you wired it up? Is yours low voltage?

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10737 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  8:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, that link isn’t anything close to what you would need. You want the coil rated for line voltage so it can be powered by the load output of the micro module, right?

Try mouser.com as a possible source. You want a small, 120 VAC coil, SPST relay.

(You probably also want to find a local electrician who can help before experimenting with home brew line voltage to low voltage stuff. There’s probably special precautions they’d want to take to avoid the possibility that an insulator or connection failure put line voltage on that miliamp circuit.)
Go to Top of Page

peterlandis

20 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  10:33:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The relay that I linked above hooks up to a normal switch and triggers the relay which is connected to the low voltage system. Couldn’t you just hook up a normal Insteon 2 wire switch to this relay and the output of this relay would then go to the fireplace. The Insteon switch would trigger the relay to open and close to turn on and off the fireplace. Why the micro module is needed?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10737 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  10:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peterlandis

The relay that I linked above hooks up to a normal switch and triggers the relay which is connected to the low voltage system. Couldn’t you just hook up a normal Insteon 2 wire switch to this relay and the output of this relay would then go to the fireplace. The Insteon switch would trigger the relay to open and close to turn on and off the fireplace. Why the micro module is needed?

Ok, I misread it the first time. You would still need to use a regular Insteon relay-style device to drive it, a relay load wouldn’t be compatible with a dimmer switch. Relay switches are bulkier, to accommodate much bigger loads, so the Micro Module would be an easier fit.
Go to Top of Page

peterlandis

20 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  11:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zwave ZFM-80US/DA065 combines the switch and the relay into one component. To bad Insteon doesn’t have a similar I/O link as a single switch component like zwave.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

6018 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  03:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They did at one time but not at the present.
It was a SwitchLinc {2476S if memory serves me don't remember the hardware revision} with both relay connections brought out. You could switch AC like the other revisions by connecting one of the relay wires to the Line input or you could use the two wires as a dry contact output.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2019 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page